Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Missing Tracks When Bouncing-To-Disk

On the past couple of sessions, I did a bounce-to-disk of several rough mixes in PT 7.2, but when I listened to the AIFFs at home tracks that I heard when it was bouncing were gone - like a random guitar here, a lead vocal there, and in one case, everything but the bass was missing. WTF? I have been highlighting the entire session (all tracks) and just positioning the selections at a start and a finish point. What would cause a random track (or several) to not get bounced? I assumed that if I heard the whole mix playing back as it was bouncing, that's what would be on the bounced file.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Missing Tracks When Bouncing-To-Disk

I know its basic, but are you sure you had the correct bounce source selected?
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 PM

The only source I select are the same outputs that go to our mains for monitoring. This never changes, but some bounces work just fine and every unmuted audio track makes it to the bounced file, but on other bounces tracks are not printing even though you hear them play back when the bounce is being processed.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM

I had the same problem a while ago. Appeared to be my command8 control surface.
One of the fader could get stuck when set fully down. And although automation was there it would stay down. Try bouncing while your controlsurface is off.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 PM

I suspect that this has to do with the " scrub tracks back into action" issue.
I've also had it, and its still not fixed. Some track will just die, and others will become one lkegged, then you have to scrub that track, and with a couple of clicks and pops, it works again.
Very irretating on high track counts.
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 AM

It was user error (my bad). The outputs of our main headphone sends (we have an Aviom system) are labeled almost identically to the main outs, so several of us at the studio had made the same mistake by misreading what the output assignment was. Gotta get stronger reading glasses for the studio.

As Emily Latella would say, "Never mind.".
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 AM

I just had this problem, I got only my vocals and not the band.....of course the whole track was heard while bouncing.
I found that the bounce source was somehow set to BUS out 1 & 2 instead of interface out 1 & 2. Its not obvious, and Im even an experienced bounce source watcher. So I got what I was sending to the reverb-all the vocals-instead of the whole thing.
The solution? label your I/O settings so that stereo mix out(1 & 2) is something more unique like 2-Mix, so it will catch your eye if it somehow sets itself somewhere else.(how does that happen anyway.....must be a mac thing, like when you save a file to a folder, then save another file, it goes to the same folder, then the third time you're saving another file, it picks a completely different folder..????)
I've had a similar thing happen when I monitor SPDIF out and the bounce source was 2 mix....then you get.....nothing!http://duc.digidesign.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmix View Post
I just had this problem, I got only my vocals and not the band.....of course the whole track was heard while bouncing.
I found that the bounce source was somehow set to BUS out 1 & 2 instead of interface out 1 & 2. Its not obvious, and Im even an experienced bounce source watcher. So I got what I was sending to the reverb-all the vocals-instead of the whole thing.
The solution? label your I/O settings so that stereo mix out(1 & 2) is something more unique like 2-Mix, so it will catch your eye if it somehow sets itself somewhere else.(how does that happen anyway.....must be a mac thing, like when you save a file to a folder, then save another file, it goes to the same folder, then the third time you're saving another file, it picks a completely different folder..????)
I've had a similar thing happen when I monitor SPDIF out and the bounce source was 2 mix....then you get.....nothing!http://duc.digidesign.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
I posted the exact same thing about 2-3 weeks ago! my bounce sourse would suddenly default to my first bus and not the usual stereo 1/2

We definitely need the option for saving these save and bounce settings!! i get a bit tired of constantly having to set all these things every time when i'm mostly saving/bouncing the same settings.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmix View Post
[…] The solution? label your I/O settings so that stereo mix out(1 & 2) is something more unique like 2-Mix, so it will catch your eye if it somehow sets itself somewhere else.
Yes, clarity in labeling goes a long way in preventing “accidents” such as the one in question. However, the foolproof solution is to create separate output routings for your monitoring chain and mix-file rendering, and then adopt a print-to-track workflow. In this way, one retains monitoring flexibility, while the source of rendered mix files remains constant. Simple, flexible, efficient and foolproof — the sum of which is “elegant.” Try it.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi Andre

Could you expand on your answer. I was a little unclear.

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com