Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 06:36 PM

Default I\'m thinking of switching from Mac to PC

I've been a long time Mac user. I was thinking of buying a Dual 2Gig G5. But it seems that the PC's are still more powerfull (more plugins etc.).

From the Mac LE forum, a Dual 2gig G5 is capable of having 32 tracks plus 31 DVerbs. How many Dverbs (for comparison) would a kick ass PC run. Or better yet, i would mainly be using Waves plugins. Would i be able to get 32 REN EQ's, 32 REN Comps and 3 Waves REN Verbs? Not that i would need 32 eq's and compressors. I'm curious to see how powerfull these PC's are. Which PC would be the best for around 2 grand.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2003, 04:47 AM

Default Re: I\'m thinking of switching from Mac to PC

Do a search for the "DaveC" test, and check the Allenstein machine/"best Pc under...$" at the top of the page.
If you're not familiar with the Davec test, it's a kind of benchmark that's not eaxctly real world but gives you an idea of the power of your system. You basically create 1 track and add 5 basic plugs to that track (Eq, delay, comp...don't quote me here, you'll find the relevant info on the thread). Then you duplicate that track till your machine won't let you add any more (if you can get 32 audio tracks, start adding Aux tracks and do the same). Then you hit "Record" and if your machine can handle it (meaning if you can record for a few minutes without the computer stopping), you're in business. Last summer I upgraded to an AMD3000 w/1 Gig of Ram for around 600$, and I get 32 audio tracks + 16 or 17 Aux tracks.
Never had to use that many plugs, though.

If you stick to the required parts listed in Allen's thread, you'll most likely find you've got a killer system. Mine is rock stable, never as much as a hiccup, and I've not really "tweaked" or optimized this system. Whenever I add a plug, the machine just goes "yeah, so ?"
I use my system to make a living (music for commercials & voice overs), and I can't exactly afford to have the PC crash on me with customers watching - who can ? But I don't have to worry about it. These days I also almost always run Reason alongside PT, works like a charm.
The main issue in the Mac vs PC debate seems to be the lack of availability of certain plugs for the PC. But if you've got Waves, you can cover a lot of ground.

You'll have to live with the PC's quirks, but it's really no big deal.
Besides, all the help you need is right here, there are tons of people who can help you out.

Good luck, and cheers
Old 11-23-2003, 05:29 AM

There, I just ran your own little private test for you :

my system is an Asus A7V8X-X/AMD3000+, 1Gig Ram.
I was able to record 3 minutes with 32 tracks with on each a Ren Comp on a Ren EQ 2. I was able to do the same by adding 2 Aux tracks with a Ren Verb on each (when I added a third Aux w/Renverb my system maxed out).
To be able to get the 3 Aux/with Renverbs, I backed off to 29 audio tracks. That worked fine.
I all cases, screen redraws were sluggish, but you would expect that.
I guess I could improve that by applying the various tweaks, but frankly, I couldn't be bothered.
If I need 32 comps and Eq, something is wrong with the way I'm recording...

Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:07 AM

Thanks Paul!! I think that i will do the switch. You're also right- "If I need 32 comps and Eq, something is wrong with the way I'm recording..." This was just to give me an idea.

This Forum Rocks!

TBIRD

Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 AM

Tbird:

I believe that G5 will come close or a little bit
behind the faster AMDs. When the 64bit AMD comes out,
then that will most likely make another quantum jump
from the current top speeds.
As far as jumping to PC, the paradigm i have is
not Mac to PC or PC to Mac, but Mac AND PC.
Use the best of both worlds. Gigastudio on PC
and MCDSP/DUY on Mac for mixing for instance.
Just a thought.

peace,
--james
Old 11-23-2003, 06:32 PM

gracejames thanks for the advice. I will add a Athalon to my Mac setup. That way, as your suggesting, i'll have the best of both worlds. When is the 64bit Athalon coming out?

tbird
Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 PM

strange things... I was at the digidesign HD Accel tour in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, the "protools experts/digidesign guys" told us that "PTLE runs better on a PC than on a Mac." Save you money.My PC kicks ass. The G5 is very pretty to look at, however.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:37 PM

Yerp, i've been popping my head into the mac forum keeping an eye on how the new g5 $$$ machines are running, i'm still smiling
Old 11-26-2003, 12:59 AM

I switched from Mac to PC back in March, and I have some wisdom to share. It's better to use a machine that lets you set up processes faster and accomplishes them slower than to have to work twice as long for a faster machine to do the same job. Whose time is more valuable? Yours, or your computer's?

I'm switching back to Mac at the earliest convenience. I haven't even had a serious system failure yet, which is far more likely in XP than OS X. I don't intend to stick around that long.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:35 AM

Ummm...I don't get it.Please explain further.Your whole post lost me.

DJ