Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Whats the best Mac to run PT LE 8.0 im thinking of switching

hey ppl

i recently bought a 003 rack factory ever since its been giving me grief with my current PC

last time i used a Mac was when they had G4 series LMaO

I'd love to have the Mac Pro with dual quadcore but so expensive

So which would u recomend to me

(i'm always running PT LE 8.0 rewired with Reason 4.01 as well)

Mac Mini ? Macbook ? Macbook Pro? or iMac

and how fast do they run compared to what i got atm

P4 @ 3gig, 4 gig Ram, Windows XP Pro 32 bit

thanxxx
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Whats the best Mac to run PT LE 8.0 im thinking of switching

A better figure would be a dollar amount. And don't forget to check Apple's refurb section, that's where I bought my dual quad core Mac Pro for $2399, considerably under the new price for it and just as good with the same guarantee.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15th SINE View Post
hey ppl

i recently bought a 003 rack factory ever since its been giving me grief with my current PC

last time i used a Mac was when they had G4 series LMaO

I'd love to have the Mac Pro with dual quadcore but so expensive

So which would u recomend to me

(i'm always running PT LE 8.0 rewired with Reason 4.01 as well)

Mac Mini ? Macbook ? Macbook Pro? or iMac

and how fast do they run compared to what i got atm

P4 @ 3gig, 4 gig Ram, Windows XP Pro 32 bit

thanxxx
Don't even think about it, beg borrow or whatever to get a Mac Pro. I have the dual 2.8g with 8g ram and LE has been super. I have no idea why I don't have the problems others do but I use heavy amounts of VIs and plug ins and I never get errors. Of course I'm not trying to do this at 64 buffer sizes, my mixes are always set to the highest and usually I'm recording at 256 or even 512 using Low Latency Monitoring. But it works, and I am getting as much work done in PT as I was in Logic with zero issues.

TH
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM

I strongly recommend against laptops unless you absolutely need to be portable. You are paying extra money for slower (but smaller) components.

The computer you get should be the most powerful one you can afford. It will last longer before needing to be replaced.

Another advantage of the MacPro is that it can be upgraded much more than an iMac. This will also lead to longer longevity. It's internal drive slots are very convenient and cheaper to add additional HDs than Firewire drives..

All that said, people report great performance with Macbooks, MBPs, iMacs, and even Mac Minis. All these computers require an external FW drive to work with ProTools. You just need to be realistic about how complex your sessions will be and how long the computer will last before it needs to be upgraded..

P4's are dogs compared to anything with a core2 duo. The Mac OS is also more responsive the windoze.. IMO. I say this as the IT guy where I work, and my primary computer there is guess what.. a P4 XPpro POS. I also have a core2duo XP box there that I use for anything requiring a little horsepower (like some CAD and graphics stuff I occasionally dabble in) and it totally dusts the P4. But still not as nice as my 3 yr old MacPro