Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 01:35 AM

Default Motu Digital Timepiece Hookup

I recently purchased the Motu Digital Timepiece. I would like to sync it up through my adat. I heard that you have to go through the S/P DIF connection from the timepiece to the Digi 001. Could someone guide me through step by step on how to hook the Timepiece up with an adat and Digi 001. Much appreciated
Old 03-29-2001, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Motu Digital Timepiece Hookup

Basically, you will attach the ADAT out port of the MDT to the ADAT sync in of the ADAT. This supplies clock and positional reference to the ADAT. Then connect the S/PDIF out of the MDT to the S/PDIF in of the 001. This will provide clock reference (only) to PT. Set the MDT as Master, ADAT to slave, and PT to External (S/PDIF) Sync. Put PT Online in record-pause, Output timecode from the MDT, and that should do it.

However...I have had HUGE problems with MOTU products and PT; especially in the area of syncing.

Call the guys at Sweetwater. You won't get MOTU to answer the phone.

------------------
Chris
chris@castle-productio
ns.com
Old 03-29-2001, 10:29 PM

Thanks very much for your help But I'm still having problems. It doesn't sync properly. And always says that the sample rate does not match. How do I set the DTP to the Master like you said and Adat as slave? I only have one adat. Thanks again, Dino
Old 03-29-2001, 10:48 PM

Dino, you set it using the front panel. Just scroll through all those stupid menus til you find it. Then power on the ADAT. It should sense that there is a master already, and set itself to slave. This is what the MDT paperwork says, anyway.

Where does it say the rate doesn't match? MDT, PT, or ADAT?

------------------
Chris
[email protected]
Old 03-30-2001, 12:01 AM

There is no master selection theres Internal, MTC,SMPTE,SPDIF, DA88,ADAT. I skipped some but you get the idea.(Your right they are stupid, the way it scrolls through its pretty cheap looking for a $1000 dollar unit.) So which one is it? And one more quick thing how can Pro Tools be set to External SPDIF if I want to go through the optical cables from the adats.
Oh and it says that the sample rate doesn't match in Pro Tools.

Just so you know I did get them to sync up but not through the External S/PDIF so that beats the whole purpose of this unit. So this is why I'm so frustrated. It all comes down to that External SP/DIF

Much appreciated, Dino