Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Question Video Out Firewire Basics

I need to find a way to display the video that im using in my session on an external monitor in another room (the live recording room), since im working almost exclusively with film projects now.

I have no idea what monitor, cables, routing, etc. i should get my hands on and configure. I stumbled upon the "video out firewire" option when i right clicked the video to resize it. So I now know that's the way to go. However I need to obviously buy a monitor (something basic) and whatever else, cables, etc. The info i found on digidesign.com is too advanced for me. There's no basic introduction to this valuable tool. Im just looking for some basic info to get me started. What are the basic things i need to get this set up, what choices do i need to make?

Using PT 7.3.1 HD 2 with OS X 10.4.9 on a mac pro 2 X 2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Video Out Firewire Basics

an Avid Mojo or a Canopus ADVC 110 will give you either avid video or DV video via quicktime into a variety of video outputs, depending on the box. At the most basic, they have composite video outputs you can DA to a couple of monitors.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
an Avid Mojo or a Canopus ADVC 110 will give you either avid video or DV video via quicktime into a variety of video outputs, depending on the box. At the most basic, they have composite video outputs you can DA to a couple of monitors.
Wow, those two aren't cheap at all, huh? the mojo is upwards of 2 grand, and the canopus is over 200 bucks as far as i could find out online. Any cheaper solution? Its hard to fathom that something as simple as sending video to a monitor from pro tools would require such an investment.

Anyone know of a cheaper solution?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

I gotta say, I think a couple hundred bucks is pretty cheap in the world of film audio mixing. It's less than a decent monitor. It's less than an Mbox. It's less than almost everything!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 PM

Well, yeah, if you compare to other gear it may be cheap, but I think 220 bucks is justifiable if you are really using the multiple i/o and all the complex setups that the manufacturers boast on their website. for just sending the video signal to a monitor? that's not worth 220 bucks... I still think there has to be a cheaper way, and if not, then that should be something digidesign should look in to. well, im still on 7.3.1, who knows, maybe version 8 already has some new feature...

Thanks for your insight, ifiniteloop
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM

Francisco,
Your Mac Pro has two DVI outputs. You can use a "DVI to VGA" or "DVI to Composite video" adapter with the second DVI output and send it to a TV monitor.
That's the cheapest if you can afford to sacrifice the second DVI for video.

But I would strongly recommend a Blackmagic Intensity card. That way you can use two monitors for pro Tools and use the Intensity for HDMI video.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Its hard to fathom that something as simple as sending video to a monitor from pro tools would require such an investment.
nuclear gave you the cheapest solution, and it is VERY low cost.

Quote:
The info i found on digidesign.com is too advanced for me. There's no basic introduction to this valuable tool.
I respectfully suggest you do some research and figure out what the options are and why they exist. Pro Tools on Mac gives you at least six different ways to run video along with your audio. Pro Tools on PC gives at least five of these.

1. QuckTime to desktop monitor (1st or 2nd monitor port, with or without DVI-video adapter)
2. Canopus-compatible firewire adapter
3. MOJO attached to Pro Tools computer
4. Video Satellite LE
5. Avid Video Satellite
6. Chase video deck
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 AM

Postman forgot the cards from Blackmagic.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Read the resent post on this topic, a few posts above htis one
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Postman forgot the cards from Blackmagic.
Hmm, I guess that's true. Old Aurora and Miro cards, too, in that sense. (I did say "at least")