Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2002, 04:52 PM

Default Which 48 point TRS Patchbay for project studio?

Which 48 point TRS Patchbay for project studio?

Anyone know if one of these is built better than the others or are they all the same:

Re'an 48 point TRS
DBX 48 point TRS
HOSA PHB-265 switchable 48 point TRS

The Hosa switchable patchbays sounds pretty cool. Anyone using them?

Leon
Old 06-07-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Which 48 point TRS Patchbay for project studio?

I guess no one is using patchbays...anyone?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2002, 03:57 PM

Those Bays all Suck. Period. They rely on a circuit board card which always develop bad traces...you can't ground them correctly, they use TRS jacks in the back which come out, Etc.
Get yourself a Good 48 pt bay which is on true TRS jacks like you see in the good studios, they on only cost a couple hundred bucks, then you soldier them. You will be happier long term...
-Todd A.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:10 PM

I've had great luck, so far, with the Neutrik 48 jack 1/4" TRS bays (I've got eight of them). Not a single problem, knock on wood (non-smoking studio).

I've wired the other bays before, and that's labor intensive. Also, I change my configuration around quite often, and that's really simple to manage with the Neutrik units.

I'm running balanced line to everything with all grounding issues taken care of, and my noise floor is way down there. No hums or buzzes.

If I did start having problems, I'd just buy an additional bay and use it for 24 replacement circuit boards.

Again, the Neutrik has been a solid performer for me.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-07-2002, 04:41 PM

I've got several ADC bays that are great. They have the "punch grid" in the back so that you can easily reconfigure your wiring with the right tool. (Yes it is more work than females on each side)but I guess you could say you'll save on males at that connection and no soldering.

Anyway, they are rugged "military-style" through and through. Check around on the net. Some studio may be selling them cheap.

8 years ago I got three(x40)of them, a million miles of Belden cable with perhaps 150 TRS and TS connectors all for $1000.00 from a studio that was upgrading gear. (the funny thing was, they used the money for other recording gear and bought Furman patch bays to replace them!- I guess it was a shift in priority in this case).

Good Luck, eh? (no I'm not from Canada-so take off!!)
Old 06-07-2002, 07:28 PM

I might eventually go with the traditional soldered TT studio patch bays, but the Furman PB48's with Monster 1000 cable have been great for me so far.

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/FurmanPB48.htm
Old 06-07-2002, 08:55 PM

I have three of the DBX bays and they work great. Perfect for a project studio. For a pro studio that has outside clients all day I can see going to a TT bay, but the DBX is perfect for project studio use. -jl