Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2000, 11:34 AM

Default What single channel mic pre for under $1k?

I'm looking to purchase a good sounding mic pre-amp.

I'm doing a lot of acoustic guitar recording and the artist is finger picking softly and strumming softly because of the style of the song. I have to crank up the pre-amp on the 001 to almost 4:00 and as a result, I'm not too happy with the sound it creates when it's that wide open.

I'm looking for a 1U single channel mic pre compressor combo (since you can't compress to hard disc inside the 001 while recording) for under a grand ($500-$750).

Any recommendations! Thanks!!

Gremz
Old 02-26-2000, 01:01 PM

Default Re: What single channel mic pre for under $1k?

I've been using a Joe Meek VC-1 for a couple years now. First with my analog deck then with the mac. In both instances I have noticed superior 'placement' in the mix- whether it's bass guitar going directly in, or voice.

Sounds to me like you need an EarthWorks SR77 mic. Check the latest edition of Electronic Musician.

Joe Meek: www.pmiaudio.com

I am also interested in the Pre Sonus 2 or 8 channel. Anyone take one for a test drive?
Old 02-26-2000, 04:29 PM

I recently added a Focusrite Voicemaster to my rack. I like it a lot. I think I paid $600 or $700 for it. Preamp, compressor, EQ, De-esser. I find the comression on vocals to be very smooth.

Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2000, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Giovanni said: "I recently added a Focusrite Voicemaster to my rack. I like it a lot. I think I paid $600 or $700 for it. Preamp, compressor, EQ, De-esser. I find the comression on vocals to be very smooth.
Good Luck"

Would you recommend that unit for other "instruments", like guitar, bass and drums? I'm looking for a good general purpose unit.

thanks!
Old 02-27-2000, 12:09 AM

Check out the new DBX 386 Dual Vacum Tube Pre-Amp with "DBX Type IV" conversion system.

Built in AD/DA /44,48,...96z KHz, 16,20,24, bit, SPDIF out AND analog out (SPDIF straight into Digi001!!, may need adapter).

No compressor but the Type IV conversion system algoritm is kind of a limiter claiming to give 4 dB of extra headroom ontop of 24 bits.

Listed at $550-599 at dbx home page.
Please read more at: http://www.dbxpro.com/386.htm

And for Type IV: http://www.dbxpro.com/typeiv.htm
I want one.

// Joakim W

------------------
>>We need more time so that everything doesn't happen at once<<

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 02-27-2000, 08:45 AM

Don't even think about it. Look in the back of Mix magazine for an ad by a guy named Brent Averil (sp?). He sells vintage Neve mike modules for about $1000.00 and they just plain kill any of this stuff that's out there for "project studio" types. The sound is huge.

There is no EQ on these modules (unless you ask him for one with the Neve EQ, which will set you back an immense amount) but I use the Focusrite EQ from Pro Tools. The Mic pre itself has a a line in for guitar as well, and a separate power supply. It's a one space rack. It is the real deal, accept no substitutes. It will blow any of todays gimmick mic pre's out of the water.

Spoken from experience

Old 02-27-2000, 05:10 PM

Hello Germz,

You can use the Focusrite for guitar, bass and drums also. I won't argue with the other statements on this list, but for an all around, general purpose preamp in your price range, I think it is a choice worth looking at.

Good luck.

--Gio
Old 02-27-2000, 07:18 PM

i'm in market for this gear as well...and while i know they are a bit out of this price range, how does the gang rate avalon designs 737sp ?

mitch
Old 02-28-2000, 12:54 AM

Ted Fletcher is up there with Rupert Neve. The Joe Meek VC-1Q features dual transformers/optical compression/exciter/eq. Seperate inserts in the back for complex routing. The Focusrite voicemaster I believe uses an I/C rather than a transformer(s) front end. Like the lower end Meeks.

You shouldn't need a d'esser with Digidesign A/D converters and a good mic pre-amp. But phase coherent EQ could be useful. This is the new feature on the VC-1Q model. Optional 24 bit s/pdif card. PMI also represents Trident/Sony. You can lock two together (compressors link) for true stereo and/or mid side.
Old 02-28-2000, 03:36 AM

I use the MINDPRINT ENVOICE.
it's mic pre with switchable EQ bands, a compressor, tube stage , and 24 bit spdif digital in/out, it sounds awesome .
very versatile and also has an instrument jack on the front, check www.mindprint.com :]