Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Top things missing in TOOLS software

OK, thanks digi for all your hard work so far but really here are some major features that should probably be on the cards sooooonnnnn...

1) Freeze tracks, yes as powerfull as G5s are some syhtns still bring it too its knees...and anyways working with audio tracks is always better ...

2) Apple, acid loops support!!!!! Yes in the workspace browser auto audition of these loops to the current project tempo would be FANTASTIC!!!You really dont know if a loop will work in a session unless you audition it in syunc - Synchronic is just not that way we producers do it,,, im sure sales will attest to that

3) Drag and drop audio regions into a sampler of some sort....yes a simple integrated sampler would do wonders...

4) Auto scroll mixer channel to currently selected track... Yes DP 4.5 has this, it would be great to click on a track and have the mixer window highlight that track... obvious isnt it??

If anyone else would benefit from these features ..cast your vote!!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Top things missing in TOOLS software

I'd like to be able to view the mix window on multiple screens, without having to purchase multiple screens. Logic has that feature, and it really comes in handy.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks digi for all your hard work so far but really here are some major features that should probably be on the cards sooooonnnnn...

1) Freeze tracks, yes as powerfull as G5s are some syhtns still bring it too its knees...and anyways working with audio tracks is always better ...

2) Apple, acid loops support!!!!! Yes in the workspace browser auto audition of these loops to the current project tempo would be FANTASTIC!!!You really dont know if a loop will work in a session unless you audition it in syunc - Synchronic is just not that way we producers do it,,, im sure sales will attest to that

3) Drag and drop audio regions into a sampler of some sort....yes a simple integrated sampler would do wonders...

4) Auto scroll mixer channel to currently selected track... Yes DP 4.5 has this, it would be great to click on a track and have the mixer window highlight that track... obvious isnt it??

Hey, number 4 is already in there...if you have a channel selected in the edit window, Ctrl+Click on the track name to make the mix window jump to that track (and vise versa).

Plus if you have 6.4 or higher you can turn on track numbering and you can automatically jump to a track number. If you hit Apple+Opt+G you will get a window asking you to enter a number, whatever track you want to move on it, enter it's corresponding number and it will scroll over to it for you.

By the way, just in case you didn't know...PgUp and PgDwn will scroll up and down in the edit window, Opt+PgUp and Opt+PgDwn Scroll left to right in the edit window. I forget which one scrolls in the Mix window but I remember one of the two also working to scroll in the mix window.

Drag and drop into a sample works fine...at least for my sampler software (Mach5). That is more an issue of the company who developed the sampler, not Digidesign.

Freeze tracks would be cool though. I wish it could do that. That sould be a cool feature. I would much rather have automatic tempo match for auditioning in Syncronic...actually I'd love ot just have auditioning in Syncronic! Anyway, I use Live most of the time so this isn't a problem for me. But what's the use of being able to hear something in time in the workspace browser if it won't automatically match the session tempo when you drag it in?! So I would vote for that instead of just on auditioning.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Also, one more thing about #4...in PT when you select a track in the edit window, it is automatically selected in the mix window and vice versa. Not sure what you mean by "have the mixer window highlight that track..." I think you mean scroll to that track...which you can, if you Ctrl+click on it.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
A MachineControl option with zero (yes, zero) bugs. A DigiTranslator option with zero (yes, zero) bugs. MediaStation|V10 and a host of other things that I can't remember right now (that's how long the list is).

Please fix the bugs, then consider adding the features. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks OG, I didnt know about that cntrl click on edit track feature!! you have made my day,,,I agree with the acid /apple loop auditon it would be great if tools automatically adjusted the loop to fit into the song tempo when dragged from workspace browser...

On the note of drage and drop, can you confirm for me the following... are you able to "grab" an audio region from the edit screen or audio bin and drag it into the mach5 keymap editor ??? Because
I have tried that many times and it doesnt work for me...i even tried it for battery... however I know you can drag and drop from the apple folders into the samplers/battery...

Cheers big ears!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:42 PM

I'm showing my colours and my convictions with this but here goes:

I want a clip editor. I want bins. I want sequences. That's basically it. But also:

A Machine control that just works (especially with Sony 7040 DAT machines), fades that don't spontaneously become corrupted and crash sessions on older software, the (grand)son of PostConform, and a 6.4.2 for MIX, because 6.4.1 left the job half done: there are still several showstopping bugs.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks OG, I didnt know about that cntrl click on edit track feature!! you have made my day,,,I agree with the acid /apple loop auditon it would be great if tools automatically adjusted the loop to fit into the song tempo when dragged from workspace browser...

On the note of drage and drop, can you confirm for me the following... are you able to "grab" an audio region from the edit screen or audio bin and drag it into the mach5 keymap editor ??? Because
I have tried that many times and it doesnt work for me...i even tried it for battery... however I know you can drag and drop from the apple folders into the samplers/battery...

Cheers big ears!
ahhh I see what the problem is now...When I drag and drop, I do it from finder onto Mach5, not from the Digibase.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
... the (grand)son of PostConform...
Not sure if you are aware of this product yet...but have you seen Virtual Katy? Simply amazing! The website doesn't do the product justice...you really need to see it in action. I saw John McKay give a demo of it. Everyone's jaw hit the floor including mine. It did in about two and a half minutes what would have taken someone 6 hours to conform. Very cool product. Definitely look in to it.

http://www.virtualkaty.com/index2.html

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Virtual Katy is not a replacement for PostConform.