Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Default HD and RTAS Plugs, Why Buy TDM Plugs

I've recently purchased an HD1 Accel system and run it on a MacPro 2.66 with 5 Meg of Ram. To date, I have been using Massey TDM plugs as well as RTAS Waves SSL, and UAD plugs. All has worked flawlessly so far. I've not come close to maxing out my HD1. My original plan was to buy another Accel card right away, but now it's got me thinking. Am I missing something, why would I buy TDM plugs when I can use RTAS, especially at the mixing stage? I get that for tracking, TDM plugs are the way to go, like Soundtoys and others. I also get for some plugs that are TDM only. For example, I want to get Waves V bundle. When I've got a MacPro and can run tons of these plugs when mixing, why would I spend double just to use them TDM?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: HD and RTAS Plugs, Why Buy TDM Plugs

Quote:
MacPro 2.66 with 5 Meg of Ram.
5 Megs is not a lot of RAM. You should get more

If you're running the latest uber-core Mac, you'll actually get significantly more power from RTAS than you will with a fully decked out HD3Accel system. There really is no advantage to TDM plugs in the scenario you're describing.

-Jamey
IMDB
Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Here is some more reasons to consider using RTAS plugs in a HD system... TDM vs RTAS plugin distortion

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM

TDM plug-ins have much lower latency, so they work better for keeping compensation low. This is important if you are recording into a mix or streaming audio from another computer (ie Logic). RTAS plug-ins by themselves do not work on a track that is in input. Some plug-ins are TDM only.

STeve