Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 08:43 PM

Default HELP!!! can\'t hear midi notes

I can record notes into protools ) judging by the way it looks with data coming in), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reoute/hear any of these midi notes.

help appreciated!
Old 02-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: HELP!!! can\'t hear midi notes

See "Setting MIDI Channels" in the PT Reference Guide. You probably just need to assign the MIDI channels to your MIID device, if it is capable of playback and you have set up OMS.
But if not...

Getting Started Guide:

Macintosh Configuration
Installing and Configuring OMS

Connecting Your Studio
MIDI Connections

Pro Tools Reference Guide:
Introduction
Chapter 3: Pro Tools Concepts
MIDI Concepts

For in-depth information:
Index
MIDI
OMS

If you are just using QuickTime Musical Instruments, you can assign your MIDI channels to that and hear them from the computer sound output.

If you are using an external MIDI device for playback, you will need to assign your MIDI outputs to that device and use the sound outputs of the external device.

If you want to add the sounds triggered in your external device to your session, you'll need to route the audio outputs from that device to the Digi hardware inputs.

Maybe you know this, maybe not, which is why it is called a common misconception:
From the Reference Guide

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Common Misconceptions about
MIDI

MIDI is not audio. The messages that travel down a MIDI cable are only numbers that translate to specific instructions. For instance, when you strike a key on your MIDI keyboard it sends a message to its MIDI OUT port telling another device (if connected and set to the same MIDI channel) to play that particular note.

However, to actually hear that second device (sound source) you’ll need to connect its audio outputs to a sound system. Your MIDI instruments have two signal paths, one for audio and another for MIDI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>