Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Editing multiple track/regions

A similar thread popped-up here a few weeks ago but I can't seem to find it, even after doing a search. After sifting through D.Franz's PT book and the manual, I can't seem to find my answer there either. Here's the scenario.

Say you've got 12 tracks in a given session, you wish to highlight the content on all tracks in order to do an edit (ie: insert another 4 bars of drums, whatever), is there no more efficient way to do this than to shift+click on every single track, one at a time? In the search I did I brought up one thread that suggested being in slip mode, which confused me, as I would think it wouldn't be as accurate at selecting the entire region, versus being in grid mode, no?

This shift+click method is how I've been doing it over the past 2 years, then recently, someone mentioned 'selecting regions lasso style' and thought, my god, how can PT not have such a thing! Why can't we just click and drag over selected regions/tracks and highlight them that way (ie: like in Reason's sequencer)?

I find it a bit cryptic to do the shift+click thing because you often find having highlighted a section of a region on a track that you don't want altered, or also, if you start your shift+click one one given track, the length may be too short or long in order to highlight the material on other tracks. So there's this constant proofing and adjusting that needs to be done to make sure accidental edits are minimalized. (there are preventive measures like dupe playlists, I know, but discussing the sheer case of easier editing for now...)

I know that in PT6, there's a way to select multiple regions/tracks in that 'lasso' style (saw it at the demo tour but can't remember what the guy did), but what about in 5.x?

I'm probably not doing a great job at explaining this, though I think most of you know what I mean. I also realise the mild degree of shame I'm subjecting myself to by admitting I don't know the best way to perform such macro-edits after 2 years with PT!

thanks for any advice [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Editing multiple track/regions

found the thread I was looking for...
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...=019281#000004

But given the replies, there doesn't seem to be an easier way to do it. Some suggested putting all the tracks in a group, which is anything but intuitive. Looks like only from PT 6 on is there such a lasso style editing, which to me, seems like a must. Only now am I seeing what a shortcoming this is in PT.

Shift+click on every track? Come on.....
Old 03-09-2003, 06:39 PM

Generally it's normal to create an Edit Group for editing groups of tracks. No hardship and something that's been done for years on Pro Tools.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-09-2003, 06:39 PM

I mean really, do you really want the software to do everything for you. PT is the most intuitive editing software I've ever used. Shift clicking on every track is nothing. What if you had an HD system with 111 tracks to edit on.

L-Fire
EMO
Old 03-09-2003, 06:48 PM

I mean really, do you really want the software to do everything for you. PT is the most intuitive editing software I've ever used. Shift clicking on every track is nothing. What if you had an HD system with 111 tracks to edit on.

L-Fire
EMO
Old 03-09-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fire2k2:

L-Fire
EMO
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I re-read my post and, surpsingly, I never asked for the software to do everything for me. Shift-clicking on every track is a big something, particularily "if I had an HD rig with 111 tracks to edit", and particularily when you are able to do it that way in most other programs and all of a sudden you can't in PT. It's such a basic thing, I'm not asking for a Starbucks Coffee plugin or anything, geez...

Yes, PT is the most intuitive software, how nice we can agree on that, and I didn't trash PT whatsoever when referencing a feature of the "gee wouldn't it be nice if..." nature. Thankfully, it's been implemented in 6, but to most it seems to be such a minor enhancement. Oh well...

No hardship and something that's been done for years on Pro Tools.

Rail

Again, no hardship, I'm just amazed that I seem one of the very few who think this would make it a lot easier, just click and drag over multiple tracks and regions and you're there. I suppose that would be asking the software to do just about everything for me, silly me....
Old 03-09-2003, 10:52 PM

What I'd actually find more useful is a way to select a range of tracks (I know I can click on the group dot).. but it would be nice to be able to select a range of tracks. Once they're selected.. creating a group for editing is easy.

I guess Digi have already answered this wish in PT6. I don't believe asking for enhancements to PT 5.x will yield any results - I doubt there'll be any new 5.x versions except for any major bug fixes that may be required for the 002 before PT6 for the 002 is released.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-10-2003, 02:27 AM

surely if you want to select across 12 tracks, and don't want to create a group, then click and drag in the time line will select desired section across all visible tracks- ??
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 03-10-2003, 04:52 AM

Hello. Pk_hat there are actually a couple of options for you. In 5.x and higher you can double click on a timeline. This will select all active regions in a session. It's a lot easier than shift + click. With 6.0 there is the click and drag lasso style. However, double clicking on a timeline will be much easier than the lasso on a session with a high track count (vertical) throughout several minutes (horizontal).
Old 03-10-2003, 04:55 AM

And just to be clear, this is different than selecting on a time line. Double clicking on a timeline is much faster than dragging across a timeline, and much more accurate.