Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 AM

Default 32 input live rig: travel-worthy?

I thought I would solicit some opinions from those who have done what I am describing.

Last year I did some tour recording with 2 LE rigs synced for 32 total inputs. A bit cumbersome but functional. Thanks to the DUC I was able to sync them pretty consistently. And of course able to import session data to mix.

I have recently assembled a 32 input PT9 rig.. presonus Lightpipe and 4 db8's.
Testing is all good so far. have had sessions run for a couple hours with all inputs receiving data.

upcoming tour is in europe and because of baggage limitations and airline dysfunction I want to ....
1. shockmount 5-6 ru rack.. downside. heavy, possible loss with airlines
2. 5 space carry on ... the presonus stuff is fairly shallow in depth, so this may be possible.

I am leaning towards #2... but my splitters and cabling will be in luggage, so if they are lost the carry on is of little use. I know I can rent but this tour hops around a good bit.

Which leads me to another question. What is the lightest easiest config that you know of for 32 splits? I have a fairly heavy couple of 2x12 rapcos and an ART S8 3-way. considering buying 3 more of the arts and tossing the rapcos, but if someone knows a better alternative I would love to hear it.

Last thought is that if a DUC member in Germany (where the tour ends) or Italy has a 32-split they might wanna rent/????

Thanks, SB
Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Re: 32 input live rig: travel-worthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Testing is all good so far. have had sessions run for a couple hours with all inputs receiving data.
OK.... 4 weeks later I plug in the same rig.... same everything and getting constant Buffer errors... and some 9073's

repaired permissions
deleted prefs, databases
changed drives
changed configuration, computer to lightipe to drive.... computer to drive to laptop.
MBP Leopard
PT 9.0.1
CPU at 3%
Disc at 10%

Come to think of it, I think I was using 9.0, so the only change may be the update.

Anyone out there tried this?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
OK.... 4 weeks later I plug in the same rig.... same everything and getting constant Buffer errors... and some 9073's

repaired permissions
deleted prefs, databases
changed drives
changed configuration, computer to lightipe to drive.... computer to drive to laptop.
MBP Leopard
PT 9.0.1
CPU at 3%
Disc at 10%

Come to think of it, I think I was using 9.0, so the only change may be the update.

Anyone out there tried this?
UPdate... reinstalled drivers, UNIVERSAL CONTROL software, and "re firmwared".. all is good. Not sure how and what got corrupted.. but it works solidly.
32 channels in an Airline Carry On!!! SB
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Can you elaborate on how this is a "Carry On" - because I was under the impression that 4 space rack was too big.. so wonder about your 5 space solution.... Would love to hear more about the rig and see some pics if possible... Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by table17 View Post
Can you elaborate on how this is a "Carry On" - because I was under the impression that 4 space rack was too big.. so wonder about your 5 space solution.... Would love to hear more about the rig and see some pics if possible... Thanks!
It fits nicely in most overhead bins. And I bought a little handcart at the airport that folds up.
Because it has the "rack look" the flight attendants were a little skeptical, but I assured them that I had done this many times (white lie, although I have carried my bass on thousands of times). Dimensions are essentially 21"x10x14.. which slides straight in on big planes.

Then, when making a flight the other day from I realized that all the cables, breakouts, splitters... etc were in cargo/luggage and if they were lost, the rack would be useless, so I checked the rack. duh...
Just flew again today and did the same thing, so I think I am going to just check it.
All splitters, cabling in and out (to pre's and to house snake) fit in two duffle bags, and the rack. Laptop and drives go with me in my carryon.

5 shows and only one hitch...(Ilok seemed to "die" for a second and computer shut down. Some kind of power issue is my guess, either internally.. or in the venue.. not really sure on that one, but no issues since).. which cost about 5 minutes)
5 more to go... knock on wood. SB
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Glad to hear this is still working out so nicely for you.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 AM

Could the ilok thing be some weird power saving thing on the USB port? I assume you've got most of that stuff set up correctly though but hey, ya never know!! Maybe something is momentarily interrupting it?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_ View Post
Could the ilok thing be some weird power saving thing on the USB port? I assume you've got most of that stuff set up correctly though but hey, ya never know!! Maybe something is momentarily interrupting it?
Yeah... the good news it that it did not happen again, after leaving that venue.

Bottom line.. 10 shows recorded, and that was the only hickup... except that PT just quit at the very end of a show, during applause. Tried to restart recording, said that the drive was full. I knew that it wasn't as i had cleared a bunch of space earlier . Went into scramble mode.. realizing that the backup drive was at the hotel, I created a folder on the desktop and allocated 30 tracks to record to the system drive, KNOWING that this was against all "rules" and expecting a failed encore recording.
Good to know that it recorded fine to the system drive.
I then discovered that I had not emptied the trash when I cleared the drive space on my recording drive.

PT 9.0.2
MBP i5 4G ram
Firestudio Lightpipe presonus
3 d8's presonus
1 Digimax FS presonus
Glyph gt50q
All gear running at Euro +/- 240 VOLTS... happily ( except Headphone amp. 110.. with transformer)
All cabling Planet waves modular snake system... one set of cables, and various breakouts, (m/f XLR and TRS) Pro co splitters, but about 1/3 of the venues had their own.

Bottom line
Rock Solid. SB
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 AM

Wow, I'm surprised they let you carry that on. Usually, if it doesn't fit into that carry-on measurement thing at the baggage check, they make you check it. My HD2/MBP/Aurora 16 rig fits in a carry-on bag, but just barely, and cables need to be checked in my luggage. Last time, the airline took apart all the DB-25 connectors in my luggage to look inside them, then lost some of the little bolts

I'm wondering how a native system with two Aurora 16's running firewire would work... Maybe there will be a Lightpeak/Thunderbolt solution soon...