Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 08:21 PM

Default QUICK preamp decision...

Once again I'm coming to the best info source on the web, you guys. Here's my deal. I'm actually throwing a small mic to Mac setup and I need some advice on a basic preamp. Using a RODE NT1000 mic to a Digi 001, I'm looking for the right link in the chain from mic to computer. I think I've narrowed it down to two in about the same budget price range. The Presonus TubePre and the ART V3. Both of these have similar stats but I'm looking for someone with first-hand experience with these.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys.
- Andy
Old 02-27-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: QUICK preamp decision...

Quote:
Presonus TubePre and the ART V3
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">they're both toyz. get this:

http://www.atlasrecording.com/fmraudio.html

good luck,

ml
Old 02-27-2003, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M Lawrence:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Presonus TubePre and the ART V3
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">they're both toyz. get this:

http://www.atlasrecording.com/fmraudio.html

good luck,

ml
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a Really Nice Preamp you have there son!

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 AM

Agree with ML on both observations. There's nothing worse than buying a crummy little pre just because it's got a tube in it. You'll get all of the headaches with none of the upside. The tube gear that does what I assume you're looking for is going to cost. Start out with a good solid state unit and build from there.

When I get a little more scratch the RNP will be my next purchase. I love my RNC's and using both together should be sweet. Since you brought up the PreSonus, I'll tell ya I can't say enough good things about my MP20. 2 channels, clear, clean -very nice on acoustic instruments and voice. The IDSS adds a little color but I really like this for it's clarity. I've also got some Joe Meek gear that I like for a little rattier sound.

As for the ART, well, friends don't let friends buy ART.

Let folks know what sound you're going for and they might be able to help you narrow it down a little more. YMMV

Lord bless

K
Old 02-28-2003, 10:50 AM

save your money,
both are sub-standard consumer products.

rnp
sytek
great river 1 nv
john hardy single chanel m1

any of these will hold up to the test of time

$500-$1050 is what you must spend to get into the pro pre club, unless you come accross a used bargain.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:27 PM

Alright, let me give you guys a few more details. I'm going to be using a Rode NT100 mic. I'm doing a direct line from mic to pre to hard disk input (001). I really need a pre that gives the warm tube sound and gets the job done well.

The purpose of this setup is purely temporary, and I'm not really looking for a life-long partner in crime. I don't expect it to last my lifetime anyway. But I do need a pre that will compliment this setup well, especially for vocals and guitar. I'm working on a little bit of a budget.

Now don't get me wrong, I was inducted into the 'pro pre' club a long time ago, but now I'm having to be inducted into the 'good sounding pre for little money' club. The budget that I'm working with is limiting me with this temporary setup to as little as possible for a good pre. Mainly going to be used for vocals, maybe a little guitar. Really looking for a table-top pre that can deliver well.

Hope that helps! Thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 04:12 PM

warm tube sound?

go for an HHB Fatman...
350 bucks i think...very warm, and has a compressor on it too...very underrated in my opinion
Old 02-28-2003, 05:40 PM

Check out the Studio Projects VTB1

I got this one and It's got all the basics you need including a tube blend that lets you go from Solid State to Tube (and a really cool blue light). Not to mention a nice sound for the $.
I think you can order it online for about $178.

Just another option........
Old 02-28-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
but now I'm having to be inducted into the 'good sounding pre for little money' club.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">unfortunately, this club is moderated by mattel & hasbro, mate. if what you state your situation to be is your reality, you're better off buying absolutely nothing. it wouldn't be any better than the 001's pre's & di's. i know it feels good to buy something & wish it into being an improvement, but you're just making the toy companies richer. seriously. there's no point in asking or telling us what you need it for. it's either pony up for a rnp (because the prices just go up, drastically, from there), or take your girlfriend out to a yummy dinner. i mean, if you've got $175 burnin' a hole in your pocket, & you don't already have, buy a rnc (fmr's really nice compressor). at least you will have improved something in your setup.

otherwise, just relax & go make some music. good luck.

ml
Old 03-01-2003, 04:08 PM

Dont mess around w/ that presonus/Art/ other crap! I warn you..... Go w/ the RNP!!!!! You say you dont need a lifelong partner but this pre will come in handy one day I promise you. Oh and dont be fooled by the appereance of it, they pick simple designs to keep cost down. Go w/ the RNP, and screw those cheap "tube" pre's because those tubes are crap. If you want that true beautiful tube sound you'll have to pay for it.

Get the RNP and stop asking questions! Just kidding....

Trash Man