Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 AM

Default COMPRESSION suggestions..............>>>>>

I compressed some distorted guitar trax and they ended up sounding like a bad recording.....kinda washed out like a
bad anologe recording.......are there any basic rules to this, i hear that compression is essental for a pro sound.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: COMPRESSION suggestions..............>>>>>

HI,

READ!:

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

then come back and ask again, if necessary.

regs

PS: with a question as less specific as yours, it´s not possible to make specific answers.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: COMPRESSION suggestions..............>>>>>

Too much compression (threshold too low), ratio too high, attack too fast.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re:thanks al always.....what a resource

on the subject..........are there any PLUG-INS or inserts that are a 'must have' for final mixing or simply to use on all trax.

I assume that most recording pros would need some 3rd party stuff that blows the factory ones away.

ie: reverb......that D-verb seems ok, but for vocals their must be better stuff......do think that all sound can stay in the digital environment.....or should some trax like vocals be send/returned thru a fancy pre-amp compressor ?

i was in the pro audio room at guitar ctr a while back and saw a ton of rack mount pre-amp/ comps around $1000,
for that loot they must be doing something.........any better then software ?

last....are there any basic trix to mastering that can be done w/ PT ?

I know these are big questions.......but sometimes its real simple things or some 'magic box' that can make all the difference.

Is there a magic box that can add anologe warmth to all digital recording ?

thanks again,
DK
Old 03-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re:thanks al always.....what a resource

Quote:
on the subject..........are there any PLUG-INS or inserts that are a 'must have' for final mixing or simply to use on all trax.

I assume that most recording pros would need some 3rd party stuff that blows the factory ones away.

ie: reverb......that D-verb seems ok, but for vocals their must be better stuff......do think that all sound can stay in the digital environment.....or should some trax like vocals be send/returned thru a fancy pre-amp compressor ?

i was in the pro audio room at guitar ctr a while back and saw a ton of rack mount pre-amp/ comps around $1000,
for that loot they must be doing something.........any better then software ?

last....are there any basic trix to mastering that can be done w/ PT ?

I know these are big questions.......but sometimes its real simple things or some 'magic box' that can make all the difference.

Is there a magic box that can add anologe warmth to all digital recording ?

thanks again,
DK
to answer all of your questions at once...YES. LOL

Anyway...3rd party verbs...I would say Altiverb is my favorite right now. Other 3rd party plugins I use all the time.... Sony Oxford EQ (Never leave home without it), Bomb Factory Fairchild compressor, Soundtoys UltraFX (Filterfreak, Phasemistress, etc) bundle, EchoFarm, and Waves' Supertap Delay.

If you wanted to look into external reverb units, my personal favorite is the TC Electronics 6000 system. The 4000 is very cool, alot cheaper and is pretty much a stereo only version of the 6000. So if money is a concern you could always try to get one of those instead. Lexicons are ok too, but right now I am loving the TC6000's sound. It sounds very realistic and it's very easy to use. The other cool thing about the 4000, it comes with software that can connect to the hardware (basically it loos the same as the software that runs on the 6000's remote) and gives you a graphical interface in a window on the computer to control the external hardware. The only problem with external digital effects processors is that when the technology advances, you're stuck with obsolete gear and you have to buy a whole new device. But I guess that's a trade off.

It has been my experience that mixing using hardware inserts usually yields more pleasing results. Lead vocals I usually try to run through any type of external Neve EQ. One of the studios I go to all the time has several Brent Averill Neve 1084 clones that sound pretty good. I usually run the vocals through that and use the EQ in it instead of a software EQ. One thing even the producers usually notice, just running the vocal through the Neve without even engaging the EQ section makes the voice sound more pleasant.

I'll also run the vocals or bass guitar through an external compressor too. Mostly it's an LA2A (if a available). Drums, I'll try to bus to a stereo track and run them through Empirical Labs Distressors or old 1176's and then to API 550b EQs (again, if the studio has them).

As for a "magic box" that can add warmth to an all digital recording... I've used a pair of distressors as an instert on the master fader before and that helped. I'd imagine the Emirical Labs Fatso Jr. would do an even better job since that's what it's designed for. I have also tried using a Manley Vari-Mu compressor and an Alan Smart C2 compressor as an instert on the master fader in a couple studios that had them. They both sounded good. Some people will use an SSL or Neve stereo bus compressor taken out of the consoles. These will work as well. Each has a different sound (and pricetag!)

Someone told me that the Manley SLAM is also great for this, and it's also a great DAC/ADC and mic preamp as well...so you get three great pieces of gear in one box. But I have yet to try it for myself so I don't know what it sounds like personally.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page