Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 AM

Default SYNC to ADAT

I just read my old ADAT manual and it breifly talks about 'stipe' one ADAT trak with SMPTE.

OK HOW ?

and what is the hook up or cable used ?

looks like a 9 pin IN/OUT on ADAT back
on Digi-001 its called a serial but looks the same

so i link them together.....but how to you stipe a trak and
how do you set the SMPTE ?

i did see this covered in the manual but it got so detailed
i lost context....thats when a real person like you can help.

is there any other way of doing this viz optical cable or SPIDF ?

thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Re: SYNC to ADAT

Wow. While you're sort of on the right track, (and kudos for reading the manual) but there are some things you are missing.

First, the serial port on the 001 does nothing. It was intended to do something, but they never finished it. It is, in effect, useless.

Next, what exactly is it you are trying to do? Use the inputs from the ADAT for extra I/O in Pro Tools? Are you trying to transfer old tapes into Pro Tools? What exactly? The advice we give you really depends on what you are trying to do. If you're just looking for extra inputs, there's no need to get into synchronization at all; all you do is hook up lightpipe cables, make the correct settings in Pro Tools and on the ADAT and you're set.

Next, to "stripe" a track of SMPTE code to the ADAT used to be necessary "in the old days", but with most modern equipment it is not. Most times a simple sync box between the two units is all you need. There are some times when a SMPTE stripe is still necessary, but we would need to know what you are trying to do to advise you whether it applies to your situation.

Let us know exactly what you're trying to do, and we can help you further.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM

Default Re: SYNC to ADAT-2

Thanks for the assistance.

Ok some detail.......i recently got this virtual inst from eastwest sounds, its there award wining symphonic orchestra. (my attempt to emulate the movie soundtrak sound, ie: Danny Elfman)

well the sounds are beautiful but large files that thus far are overwhelming my CPU.

im a bit perplexed by this cuz my dual 1.25 G4 handles DV rendering very well and i would assume thet taxes the system more then anything but now as i think of what is different between the two apps, the sound is happening in real time and rendering is waiting so maybe i understand that.

anyway my first very basic project had the G4 freezing up left & right, true im not familiar w/ how to set the DFD to work the best, but put it this way.......when i open the KOMPAKT player as a stand-alone not a plugin and trigger the MIDI from my very old Cubasis from a very old PC.....Viloa'

it worked very well.

so maybe it will take my whole G4's power to become a Virt.Orch.........cool, fine by me as long as i dont have to put up with glitches that ruin the flow of creativity

so you can see where im going w/the ADAT that i always new might come in handy just it just works no fuss and is tied in to my set up via optical as well as patchbay.

The SYNC im asking about is just as i understand SMPTE to be......I DESIRE TO RUN THE ADAT (clock) IN THE SAME clock AS THE MIDI SEQUENCER.

I imagine at leaat with Symph projects, i record to ADAT using G4 as Virt Inst, adding MIDI trax as i go to ADAT (in sync) then dump to protools for final touches etc.

My Protools seems to handle the audio file part OK but adding MIDI tasks pushes it to far.

You mentioned a 'simple' smpte box that did come up in my net search, but compared to a $12 serial cable they were around $175......not simple to me.

im not a 'pro' thats why i could never justify upgrading to the -002 box. All that adds up. like many of us i play with DV-FCP as well, and with every OS upgrade comes so many other things that sure would be nice, FX plugins, hardware interface, NOW HD........so i have to be selective, this Orchestra VI was well worth the investment just on how it makes me deal with how to record-compose, before was always following the drum trak....basic 4/4 rock, this is more about melody and contrast.....you can tell im excited by how im bable-ing.

So 'SPK'....is there a simple-cheap way of controlling ADATs clock or vice-versa ?

can the lite-pipe do that ?

the manual had quite abit about sync, MTC, MIDI MACHINE, beat clock etc. but as usual never explains in a real-world way of what it can or can't do. It also talked about SPIDF, can that do anything ?

but connecting serial port in/out like adding a second ADAT wont work.....what about the LRC, can that be tied to some type of sync box ?

Last question (sorry so long)...i have a second G4 my original 350 which is setup as a simple network so i could work on a DV project while part was rendering in faster G4, kinda cool......so im wondering how or if i could use it this situation combined with the PT on faster G4. Right now i have believe it or not a 486 PC running win 95' and my fav 'Cubasis' not Cubase, this simple sequencer rocks! The PT seq is so touchy and has quirks i hate, cubasis works like a drum machine, i create in loops, In to OUT......yes PT obviously has that.....but it NEVER works right. The 1st note gets left out cuz im not precise, and the in/out tabs always have to be reset, just little things that ruin my mood, the old one might not have all the 'pro-stuff'but it always works just the way i want and that PC is linked my MIDI and works good for me. So in a normal song i rec drums on it then i can rec MIDI info to PT and finish layers in PT.

My question is.....what could i be doing w/ my 2 G4s in Protools ?

I saw real cheap MIDI cards that comes with software even from Stienberg that say are compatible w/PT. Keeping in mind my original dillema as well as my pref for the simple seq. does that offer any solutions, add some options im unaware of.....will my registered PT 6.1.2 run w/o the -001 or use a 3rd party card ?

thanks for any ideas

-dave
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 AM

Wow. Lots of info/questions there... might be a little much for one post.

There is a much easier way to solve your problem, and you don't need to incorporate the ADAT at all. I believe that you are "thinking too much". I also believe that you are mis-informed about how an ADAT functions and what it is capable of and "grasping at straws" looking for a solution to your problem.

You said that your machine handles audio just fine, correct? Syncing the ADAT is only going to alleviate load on the system for 8 audio tracks; not really much at all in the overall scheme of things. The ADAT does not/will not record MIDI; just audio. The only thing that syncing the ADAT is going to do for you is to add 8 more audio tracks. It will also not run the VI, which is where your problem really lies. The VI running at the same time as Pro Tools is requiring too much from your system.

You can just print the audio from the VI to an audio track in PT instead. Then you can disable the VI, and if you ever need/want to change the part or the sound, you just enable it.

So; while it is possible to sync the ADAT to Pro Tools, it won't do what you think it's going to do, and it really will not solve your problem, OK? You're kind of barking up the wrong tree there.

For the rest of the stuff you are asking about; it seems you are gathering a TON of information and mis-interpreting/misunderstanding it. Let me see if I can set you on the right path:
Quote:
what could i be doing w/ my 2 G4s in Protools ?
Technically, you can sync them together, but honestly, it's not going to be much benefit, and you would have to spend some money (buy a second audio interface, cables, etc) to make it happen. Also, all of the computers you have listed are on the "low power" side these days when it comes to virtual instruments. The problem you are having is not a "MIDI" one. The MIDI itself is not what is overloading your CPU. It's the virtual instrument/sampler. I totally understand the desire to "work with what you've got", but you really need to understand the problem that you are having first before you go looking for a solution. The real problem here is that the two most demanding applications that you have; Pro Tools and the EW sampler, both need powerful machines to run. Unfortunately, you've only got one machine that is powerful enough (you never mentioned which EW sampler package you have, but I'm pretty sure it won't run on either the G$ 350 or the 486; I could be wrong about that). If you had another computer that was powerful enough to run the EW Sampler, you could load it on the other computer, run it standalone on that computer, and play it from your Pro Tools computer (much like you do with Cubasis now). (I think this is what you were hoping the ADAT would do, but it won't).
Quote:
I saw real cheap MIDI cards that comes with software even from Stienberg that say are compatible w/PT. Keeping in mind my original dillema as well as my pref for the simple seq. does that offer any solutions, add some options im unaware of.....will my registered PT 6.1.2 run w/o the -001 or use a 3rd party card ?

MIDI cards and audio cards are two totally different things. Pro Tools will not run without the 001. Period. That's it's audio card. Pro Tools will recognize a multitude of MIDI interfaces (internal MIDI interface cards, USB interfaces, etc) so the claims for the steinberg MIDI cards working with Pro Tools would be correct. But MIDI is just a series of musical instructions; kind of like electronic sheet music. The cards are just a way to tranfer that sheet music from one place to the other (controller to computer, computer to computer, etc). Getting a "MIDI card" is going to do nothing for you except allow you to connect more MIDI devices. The problem you are having is not really a MIDI problem. It's a sound module problem.

The solution to your problem of running out of CPU power when using a VI is to print those tracks to audio tracks in Pro Tools.

You might want to break down your posts in smaller sections in the future; one question per post. It's very difficult for most of us to answer these marathon posts.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time. yea i will be off the forum for months then get some new gear or run into some issue that all seem to have several questions.

What you said about 'using the equipment we own'.....yes that very true. I think the ADAT still have value cuz in all honesty i simply don't trust computers. Kinda like TAPE vs DVD.......i swear every movie i watch wether rented from Netflex or even on HBO......at SOME PONT.....it will FU ! Flutter, skip, pause, recalibrate.......i wonder if Andy Rooney has ranted on this issue and if the 'PROS' even acknowledge it ?

Back in olden days if my education serves me, Networks used BETA machines and for features would play 2 machines at the same time......if one had a problem they simply 'dissolved' to 'B' machine and most would never know.

But these DIGITAL hic-ups are becoming accepted. I work w/ FCP.....and if a DVD project has a point that freezes i feel like 'I' failed. Kinda like when the radio DJ gets busy not realizing the CD is caught in a DDDDDDDDjjjjjjjjjjaaaaaaa.......to the listener its very noticable. As a DJ i always had TAPE back-ups......cuz they simply didn't have problems (on a reg basis)

Not to mention compatibility issues......you burn 100 DVDs thinking you'll have that collection for life until you buy a newer DVD player that doesn't support that old codec. Your trusty VCR might be a little grainy but at least you'll have your media.

My point.......

If i record on my ADAT.......i would never worry it would get lost or corrupt.

so back to my VI that's stressing my system. BTW my old G4 is the original 350 which you would be surprised how it still get used, but my fast one is a duel 1.25, and if i wrote more i would save to ADAT or B/U all finished songs.

So i guess the question is........do i need a 'SYNC BOX' (how $) or can the clock be sync'ed via lit pipe or some other way ?????

My idea was that i use the 1.25 as a stand alone for this VI, record to ADAT where theres NO CPU issues, and then to add to song ADAT plays in sync w/ PT......

how does that sound ?

your ideas are always appreciated.

DK
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
My idea was that i use the 1.25 as a stand alone for this VI, record to ADAT where theres NO CPU issues, and then to add to song ADAT plays in sync w/ PT......

how does that sound ?
As I think I mentioned above, that sounds like overkill to me. You can record the audio to Pro Tools without having to sync to the ADAT and not be worried about the CPU problems. Also as I mentioned above, you don't even really need the second computer to do that. The CPU issues you are complaining about are being caused by the VI, are they not? and if you don't have the VI inserted in the Pro Tools session, then you don't have the CPU problems, correct?
Quote:
If i record on my ADAT.......i would never worry it would get lost or corrupt.
Two points there;
  • if that's the reason why you want to use the ADAT you're mis-informed a bit; ADAT tapes can be both lost and corrupt (IMHO and in my personal experience) much easier than computer files, and computer files are much easier to backup and duplicate.
  • if you really feel that way then why are you using a DAW in the first place?

If you absolutely must sync the ADAT to Pro Tools, then yes, you are going to need a sync box of some kind. The MTP-AV or JL Cooper DataSYNC2 should work nicely.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Re: SYNC

The point your making is once the VI sound is recorded in PT an becomes an audio file.....its not stressing the CPU as MIDI & 'playing sound' thus ............there are my extra trax.

Yea i thought of that after.

I'm sure you can guess by now its a deep psychological thing. The 'Artist' in me has made me a 'pack-rat' so its an issue to let go of anything that 'could be used for some future project' so you can imagine how music-video gear can be a major deal.

Why DAW ?

Again its 'psych'.....i got my first 4 trak in 1986, and i gotta tell ya......that was a 'magic' time for me. First i don't claim to be a super-talent like some are nor do i make a living. Just like 'painting with sound' So to have accompinment ....adding drums, bass....fx...lets just say i wish i had the same inspiration now that i did then.

I have great memories and used the hell out of that 4 trak way past its life span, before i got distracted with 'gear envy'. Thats when i first heard about a digital rec that uses thick VHS tape and i was hooked-sold- you know. Even then it was way more tek then my talent deserved, i should have got one of those 'all-in-one' D8s. It was 'pro' gear.....i wasn't a pro, but maybe owning it offered some inspiration.......and too me thats what its all about and sometimes tek gets in the way of that.

Im sure theres some older rock bands that swear by the ole anologue 1" tape decks and a recoding studio is no place for a PC. You go multi-multi platinum doing it the old fashion way.......why change ???

I see both points.

Personally.......i need to let go of the tek stuff (envy) and actually learn music from a fundimental level.

thanks for your input......feel free to yak a bit about your story

-dave