Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM

Default Are the 002s a/d convertors good enough?

Ive been using solely soft synths and samples as my sound source to avoid using the 002s a/d convertors. If you have low quality a/d convertors and you hook a hardware synth, then the sound that comes in is going to be low quality, right? Im thinking of getting a micro korg, or Novation sound module, but am afraid that the a/d convertors wont be good enough for the new hardware.
I know the OO2 convertors are good, but how good? Can I release a commercial CD off them? Or theyre just hobby convertors?

Im a novice, so Ill just clarify a/d convertor: its the device (electronic thing) that changes an external signal into digital data so it can be processed within PT. Yeah?

Thanks

This forum is fantastic! Better than digidesign technical support!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Are the 002s a/d convertors good enough?

Yes, you can buy better converters. They are on the market. I would think that the difference would be more noticeable on, say, an acoustic guitar than on an electronic sample, but I could be wrong. The best way to tell is to take your rig to the store and demo some equipment.

Final thought:

(bad recording of good sound) > (good recording of bad sound)
Old 10-28-2003, 12:40 AM

fear not.

if you are using such a low quality (!) synth that has no digital outs, then digi 002:s a/d:s will be more than good enough for you. and if you use studio-quality synths, you will enjoy all-digital signal flow.

i know, i have kurzweil pc2 and borrow my friend's korg triton (not studio model) in a regular basis. kurzweil beats triton in quality every time, even with analog outs, and you know triton is not a bad synth at all. kurz's 24bit output is just something amazing, and i've heard triton's studio model shines as well.

going off topic? my point is that if synth only has analog outs, then 002's a/d will always outperform the synth's d/a quality. limiting factor here is the synth, not 002's a/d. if your synth is good, you will have good results recording it. if your synth lacks quality, then no bonus for you...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:01 AM

TO exploite High Quality A/Ds you need High Quality Equipment, as For all VAs and semi VA´s, digi002 will not reduce the quality. For VAs without a 96Khz digital Interface a digi 001 will suffice as most only give 48Khz quality if they are good.

so dont´fear about the mircoKorg! and Novation!

best
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 AM

Quote:
fear not.

if you are using such a low quality (!) synth that has no digital outs, then digi 002:s a/d:s will be more than good enough for you. and if you use studio-quality synths, you will enjoy all-digital signal flow.

i know, i have kurzweil pc2 and borrow my friend's korg triton (not studio model) in a regular basis. kurzweil beats triton in quality every time, even with analog outs, and you know triton is not a bad synth at all. kurz's 24bit output is just something amazing, and i've heard triton's studio model shines as well.

going off topic? my point is that if synth only has analog outs, then 002's a/d will always outperform the synth's d/a quality. limiting factor here is the synth, not 002's a/d. if your synth is good, you will have good results recording it. if your synth lacks quality, then no bonus for you...
Ohhh so very true!!!!!
I did a solo project and we used a Kurzweil ks2600 analog out to the 002's ins and it sounds Badd Ass!! And just for kicks, we sent the Kurz's analog outs to my PSX-100SE then lightpiped into the 002.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 002's converters are said to be as good as the 888's... so if ALL the synth music you've heard and liked in the past that was recorded thru 888's....you'll like the 002's sound

If you really want to HEAR a just how clear your recordings are....get the best D/A converter you can afford for monitoring!! Go BROKE...it's worth it!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the advice, especially JFreak. So, now im not worried about the a/d convertors anymore, but the synth that im buying.

The micro korg and novation arent good quality? You wont find these in studios? I want a sound module with new, high quality, unique sounds. Should I be expecting to pay more than a couple of grand? Give me a starting point. What should I be checking out? Im not interested that much in real instrument sounds, mainly artificial, but not too wierd. Hip hop, R&B, but dont just think but not typical hip hop, R&B sounds. Just a starting point, Im dying to get some more sounds. Or point me to somewhere I can get more info.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 08:01 AM

but i hear that the 002r's converters are better than the 001- is that true? i plan on upgrading someday
Old 10-28-2003, 08:09 AM

Quote:
but i hear that the 002r's converters are better than the 001- is that true? i plan on upgrading someday
I had an 001 for 3 years and thought it was good enough to make great recordigs. I just got my 002R and was admitedly a little skeptical about the converters being that much better. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, they are definitely better and you will notice right away upon booting up an older PT session that you thought you're familiar with. Much better sounding, clearer, crisper, better imaging, etc.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 AM

ok, so how do the 002's compare with those of a 2408?

how about a newer model or an older vintage, say a 2000 2408..

how do motu and digi compare??

this is interesting..

coyote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM

I don't know how it would compare to MOTU, but you know, at the end of the day, if the music sounds good then it just sounds good. Unless your in an agonizing decision making process between the two, then perhaps it is worth investigating, though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they were very similar. Nothing to lose sleep over. It's not like comparing Benchmark or $3000 Prism converters to a $1200 all-in-one recording package.

All I'm saying is we can go on and on, comparing the 002 converters with MOTU's similar products, followed by M-Audio, followed by RME, followed by whatever else is firewire all-in-one. The 002R converters are fabulous considering what the whole thing costs.

Cheers.