How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 05:37 PM

Default PT new install won't start

Hi,
I'm new here and new to Pro Tools. I have a fresh install that for some reason refuses to start. Icon appears in the taskbar, but no thumbnail, no splash screen, no error messages, no nothin'.

Windows 11 22H2 Build 23565.1000
i7-1065G7 CPU
16GB

Disabled all startup apps and built in MS anti-virus. Not using any 3rd party AV.

Have reinstalled twice both with Link and without.

Did notice the network getting slammed initially, during and right after install. To the point that it bogged down other users on the network. Can't verify it's related, but the timing leads me to think it was coming from PT.

In Task Manager there is zero CPU usage and about 2.5M memory being used.

Ideas?

Thanks,
MrB
Old 02-21-2024, 03:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT new install won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbluesman View Post
Hi,
I'm new here and new to Pro Tools. I have a fresh install that for some reason refuses to start. Icon appears in the taskbar, but no thumbnail, no splash screen, no error messages, no nothin'.

Windows 11 22H2 Build 23565.1000
i7-1065G7 CPU
16GB

Disabled all startup apps and built in MS anti-virus. Not using any 3rd party AV.

Have reinstalled twice both with Link and without.

Did notice the network getting slammed initially, during and right after install. To the point that it bogged down other users on the network. Can't verify it's related, but the timing leads me to think it was coming from PT.

In Task Manager there is zero CPU usage and about 2.5M memory being used.

Ideas?

Thanks,
MrB
Try rightclicking on the pro tools icon then open it as administrator and see if the same issue occurs

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-21-2024, 06:11 AM

Same thing happens. I also tried running directly from the .exe as I've seen mentioned in other posts. And as Administrator. No luck.
I have zero apps selected in my startup list.
I have no other DAW installed.
I just wish there was *some* indication of what is keeping it from starting.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:33 AM

Since you are seeing a lot of activity on the network adapter, try disabling it to see if PT will at least start. Also make sure your audio interface is connected to the system, with the latest drivers installed.

If it still doesn't work, please post more information about your setup. Your profile shows a MS Surface, so if that is still the case, are you installing PT to the internal storage or running from an external drive? Are you using a dock? All drivers up-to-date? Any additional information will help us try and figure out what is causing the startup issue.

You can also take a look at the Help Us Help You thread, which contains general information on setup, optimization and troubleshooting.

System Details
Old 02-21-2024, 12:29 PM

Stumbled upon iLok license manager and saw that PT Intro was not activated. If that step is mentioned somewhere it certainly wasn't obvious. And why can't PT say that when trying to start up instead of just showing an empty thumbnail? Not off to great first impression.

Hopefully, things will improve.

Thanks for the suggestions above.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:35 PM

Something is broken here, normally you get fairly clear UI messages about needing to activate the license.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:58 PM

did you ever resolve this?