How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2022, 10:06 PM

Default Pro Tools 2021.12 Software Instruments No Audio

Hello guys,

Using Pro Tools 2021.12 software, I encounter a situation whereby I load a session I am working on, and some software instruments that used to play fine just stop outputting audio altogether.

The only way to fix it is to either change the insert slot position of the software instrument or in the software instrument itself change to a different patch.
The instrument itself is receiving midi, but doesn't ouput any audio.

This happens to me in Spectrasonics products - Omnisphere and Keyscape, but my assumption is that this is not related to any specific brand.

The reason I am leaning towards it positively being a Pro Tools bug is because I noticed that when I boot up Pro Tools and load the project, there is a random chance of the project playing all the channels correctly. This doesn't seem like a kind of problem that can be caused at the plugin level.

I did try to install an earlier version of Pro Tools (2021.7) but because the project is saved in 2021.12 it seems to keep crashing in 2021.7 when loading the project, so I cannot test it with an earlier version.

I am wondering if I'm the only one seeing this, because its a big PITA.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dbendayan; 04-19-2022 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.12 Software Instruments No Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbendayan View Post
Hello guys,

Using Pro Tools 2021.12 software, I encounter a situation whereby I load a session I am working on, and some software instruments that used to play fine just stop outputting audio altogether.

The only way to fix it is to either change the insert slot position of the software instrument or in the software instrument itself change to a different patch.
The instrument itself is receiving midi, but doesn't ouput any audio.

This happens to me in Spectrasonics products - Omnisphere and Keyscape, but my assumption is that this is not related to any specific brand.

The reason I am leaning towards it positively being a Pro Tools bug is because I noticed that when I boot up Pro Tools and load the project, there is a random chance of the project playing all the channels correctly. This doesn't seem like a kind of problem that can be caused at the plugin level.

I did try to install an earlier version of Pro Tools (2021.7) but because the project is saved in 2021.12 it seems to keep crashing in 2021.7 when loading the project, so I cannot test it with an earlier version.

I am wondering if I'm the only one seeing this, because its a big PITA.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,
David
you don't say what computer & OS you are using, so it's hard to directly help. I have not personally seen this problem and I regularly use Keyscape, Stylus RMX and numerous Native-Instruments products in my sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 04-19-2022, 06:04 AM

Hello,

Thanks for trying to help.

I am using late 2013 Mac Pro 12 core Intel Xeon 64 GB, under Mac OS Monterey version 12.3.1. Pro Tools latest (2021.12.0) and latest update for all plugins including Spectrasonics. Using 2 UAD's Octo, converters are Apogee Symphony Mk1. The software instruments that seem to not work upon load (keyscape, omnisphere) have no additional inserts to them - just bare bone soft. instrument.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:23 AM

If other users were seeing this DUC would be full of complaints. So you likely need to really troubleshoot this yourself.

Are meters moving showing the VIs are producing output or not?

Some standard troubleshooting you should have already tried: (see “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page)

Does this problem go away when you trash prefs?

What happens when you use built in output (or whatever it is called on your Mac) as the playback engine?

What happens when you start with a clean totally empty session?

What happens when you create a new admin user and test from that account?

—- more specific stuff:

Do the VI plugins/Pro Tools GUI show they are in bypass or disabled? Or output level turned down? (Be careful easy to do via accidental keyboard shortcuts, control surfaces or automation).

Are you using a control surface? Try disabling it.

Can you reproduce this with a trivial session with one instrument track?

Are you using the Apogee mixer (forget what it is called)? Sending DAW returns from the VIs through that? Are they showing levels from the DAW? Try disabling the mixer.

Still having problems; Try getting the system setup as basic as possible, remove all UAD and Apogee hardware, move all plugin files to the Unused folder. Trash prefs. Reinstall one of the problematic VIs from a new installer download. Use built-in output or whatever it is called as the playback engine.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-19-2022 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:55 AM

^ what he said...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 04-19-2022, 09:06 AM

If you haven't already, go to View>MIX window and check "Instruments". This adds a box at the top of all tracks(which will only show anything for INSTRUMENT tracks). Next time a track stops playing, look in this box to see if the track has lost its assignment(take note of the settings when it does work, so you know what it should be). I have heard of certain versions having this issue(can't remember which, sorry)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-19-2022, 12:53 PM

Hello guys,

I've trashed the pref file - didn't help.

I've also tried to see if it has to do with lost mapping - It didn't lose the mapping.

I'm positive it's some odd Pro Tools bug, otherwise how can it be that randomly it opens and plays correctly and randomly not?
Old 04-19-2022, 01:22 PM

Already given you a pile of things to try, I pointed out several things there (automation, keyboard shortcuts, control surfaces) that might be able to cause what you're seeing.

Common problems folks can guess answers to. This is not a common problem. You have to troubleshoot, nobody here can guess.

It's just more likely to be a problem in what you are doing, that does not mean it is, it just is more likely, if it was a common bug in Pro Tools folks would be on here screaming about it. And they are not... but you can search DUC as well as anybody else.. use google search with site:duc.avid.com added and a good search is a lot more effective than asking here if folks are seeing a problem. The way for you to prove it's a bug in Pro Tools is exclude everything else that seems a possible cause and/or produce a simple demo of the problem that support or others can reproduce. Until then you can think all you want what the problem might be, it's not going to help you solve problems or get more attention here.

If you need somebody from support to walk you through troubleshooting file a support incident. https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-support DUC is not the way to reach Avid customer support.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:00 PM

I’ve had this problem several times over the last 5 years or so. It’s infrequent but happens. Windows 10, two different (proven PT) computers. FWIW, it’s frustrating when it happens but it doesn’t happen often.

The fix for me is to save the settings, remove the VI from the insert, and reinstantiate it. Get back to work.

Greg
Old 04-19-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you haven't already, go to View>MIX window and check "Instruments". This adds a box at the top of all tracks(which will only show anything for INSTRUMENT tracks). Next time a track stops playing, look in this box to see if the track has lost its assignment(take note of the settings when it does work, so you know what it should be). I have heard of certain versions having this issue(can't remember which, sorry)
I had this problem before and what albee1952 says is the solution. Check the Instruments assignment!