Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM

Default Can I put computer to sleep & just switch the digi 003 off?

Hello,
I recently upgraded from an m-box2 to a Digi 003R (with black lion mod!).

I've been searching for answers on whether or not I can just turn to digi 003 off and put the computer to sleep or if I have to turn the computer off every single time, ugh. Sorry if this has been gone over before but I've been searching for over an hour and all I came up with is the little bit in the PT manual that says that I have to turn my computer off- then turn the digi 003 rack off- every time!

The reason I ask is because when I had my mbox I just shut down PT and put the computer to sleep and when I started it up again it usually worked with no problems.

I'm just wondering what other people do who have digi 003/ 002's. Do you shut everything down every single time or do you leave everything on all the time or is it possible to just turn the 003 rack off and put the computer to sleep... or will this be asking for damage to my hardware?

Any advice would help.
thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM

ProTools really doesn't like sleep. So as long as you do it in this order I haven't had a problem with it:
You MUST quit ProTools first.
Then once it's gone you can switch the 003 off.

Your wake up sequence also has to be:
Wake computer.
Turn on 003.
Wait till the 1394 light is on solid.
Then boot ProTools.

I've done this a thousand times with my studio's 002 but don't see it being different with a 003.
Also bare in mind I use a Mac. I'm sure it'll work similar on windows but I've never tested it.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Oh and I must add: If you have any FireWire hard discs connected THROUGH your 003 you'd best eject them too, before switching off the 003. Otherwise you'll loose their connection and potentially any data you're writing to them.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Can I put computer to sleep & just switch the digi 003 off?

Thanks for the info Brian,
Yeah, that's essentially the same sequence I did with my m-box... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage anything by doing that with the digi 003. The only info I could find said to completely turn the computer off every time, which seems insane to me, but it sounds like what you do works just fine so I'll try it.
And yes I'm on a mac, and no connected firewire drives.

Thanks again for your help.