Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Fuzz Noise from Hell

The studio I'm working at uses a Pro Tools 6.9 HD Accel 3 system with a Mac G5 that runs through a Neve VR88 Console, and the current session I'm working on is a 7 piece trumpant group with the additional drummer, bass, and vocal members. Occassionally just out of absolutely nowhere a fuzz noise starts to just dominate everything. It seems to be particularly bad on the Bass Track and is on ALL of the tracks but get's worse as they are cumulated. If I restart the computer or just stop the session and even wait a few minutes, then when we resume playback the noise will be gone, as if it never existed and then out of nowhere it will return again.

There doesn't appear to be any set time increment that this happens, we've checked all of our connections and those are fine.... and any other session that we have runs perfectly normal without any problems at all. We thought it could be corrupt sound files but the problem is intermitent. it will happen in once spot and then if we stop or restart at the same spot it won't happen again. Then suddenly it happens, the fuzz noise from hell.

The mic's SPL level wasn't compromised and the levels themselves are also fine. When the problem isn't happening everything sounds great but every once in awhile out of nowhere it goes awful. If anyone has any idea as to what could be causing this problem in only this one particular session please let me know.

~The Radio

[email protected]
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Fuzz Noise from Hell

Does the session make use of any external digital hardware (reverbs, fx)? If yes, the issue may be traced to a loss of WordClock signal there.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-10-2005, 07:45 PM

No outboard gear being used on this one, just plugs. Any other ideas?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Waves plugs, perhaps? I get the same from my setup. Every once in a while it sounds as if the gain instantly increases by about a bazilllion and the only way to make it go away is to close the session and re-open. This horric playback noise is especially bad at 85spl with the client sitting next to me. I can get away with it since I am still far from the big leagues. I am pretty sure that it is the Waves Platinum bundle that is causing the problem.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:17 PM

ditto check any waves plugs..it happens to me on the same system once and awile..