Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2001, 05:39 AM

Default Mackie HUI users unite

Hui users, let us start a petition for an expander unit for our beloved HUI.
I know this is an old topic, but since our HUI is still a bloody good PT controller.......

Sign in Sign in Sign in
xxxx digigirly
Old 10-27-2001, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Mackie HUI users unite

Hey Girly,
I adore my hui and it has been my mixing platform for 3 1/2 years with no real issues. I still use it and can't justify a PC when this still works so damn well. A fader expander would be super great, though with multi-channel PT tracks, we sort-of got that, no? an L,R pair (or more) is now one fader. I'm not saying I wouldn't love an expander, but i don't see anyone making one, realistically. I've gotten pretty used to mixing without one.

My trick (an obvious one, for post anyway) is to route every category of sounds through sub masters, then when final-mixing, i have the masters all present on the hui at once, and I can mix easily. If i need to get into the submix, I just bank-switch over a few clicks, do my thing, then go back to my masters section.
If anyone would make one though, i would certainly buy it.
Peace
and Viva la Hui
tc

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-28-2001, 12:33 AM

Hey Girly,
I adore my hui and it has been my mixing platform for 3 1/2 years with no real issues. I still use it and can't justify a PC when this still works so damn well. A fader expander would be super great, though with multi-channel PT tracks, we sort-of got that, no? an L,R pair (or more) is now one fader. I'm not saying I wouldn't love an expander, but i don't see anyone making one, realistically. I've gotten pretty used to mixing without one.

My trick (an obvious one, for post anyway) is to route every category of sounds through sub masters, then when final-mixing, i have the masters all present on the hui at once, and I can mix easily. If i need to get into the submix, I just bank-switch over a few clicks, do my thing, then go back to my masters section.
If anyone would make one though, i would certainly buy it.
Peace
and Viva la Hui
tc

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-29-2001, 09:33 AM

I love using my HUI, and agree that it would be wonderful to get a HUI expander in the $1K range, rather then spending a ton more to move up to the C24 or PC, although having all 24 scribble strips on a C24 setup for tweaking plug ins is really great, plus the preamps and 24 channels and the other stuff...

I wish more that the C24 didn't have preamps (I like my rack units too much to use a mid quality mixer board type), less of a slope on top and was in the $5K range...

My guess is there no future for the HUI, except the existing design. Digidesign seemed very open to Mackie in the early days when Digi really needed the HUI in their product line, but over time the relationship probably died as Digi and Mackie have much different company cultures and approaches to the business. Mackie's right to produce the HUI is probably governed by a license agreement of some sort that was put in place a long time ago, before the first HUI started in design... It probably gives Mackie the right to manufacture the existing product for a period of time, of which Digi is probably open to allowing Mackie to continue selling new HUI's (because it supports the Protools product) and Mackie is probably willling to continue making new HUIs as long as people buy them, but there probably isn't hope of Digi allowing Mackie to expand the HUI product or evolve it, since Digi has moved on with the Motormix, C24 and PC... so Mackie moved their focus and resources to others like Steinberg, etc...
Old 10-29-2001, 03:07 PM

guys, maybe there's hope,
just went to the emagic site and their forthcoming controller made by Mackie.
design and measurements are almost identical to the Hui, same for the expander unit.
Works with midi, can chain different units etc.
Maybe........ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]