Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2002, 05:31 PM

Default Got my Mbox, but no sound?

Well, I was all excited, my salesman called me and told me that my Mbox had finally arrived. I went to go pick it up, brought it home and installed it. I wanted to see what the sound quality was like through usb so I boot up one of my PTFree and what happens but no sound. It is playing back, and showing signals on the meter, but I am hearing nothing. If digi is around, please help me understand this. BTW, running it on a 2001 ibook 500 w/320 ram.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Got my Mbox, but no sound?

sheesh.

Isn't that expected? Sorry, I'm no help. Have to de-install Free, and then install Le.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:06 PM

completely remove protools free, the easiest way of doing it is finding the installation log and then looking for the files it installed and deleting them.

Then install protools LE. you won't get sound out of any digi hardware unless you install the appropriate software and drivers for it to be recognised.

I'm making the assumption that you've left the installation log for protools free on you're hard disk.

hope it helps anyway.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:16 PM

I meant to say that I was listening to a file that I created in PTF and opened in LE. I actually solved the problem though, I just had to disconnect from the USB port and then reconnect that's all. All is well in Mbox land. By the way, if vf124 is out there, aren't you jealous?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:46 AM

>"By the way, if vf124 is out there, aren't you jealous?"

Daryl,

You know damn well I'm jealous! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm guessing you are somewhere on the west coast...

Man, you've got to be one of the 1st... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2002, 03:58 AM

hey daryl bowden,

how does your mbox+icebook500 combo perform?
how many digi reverbs/plugins/compressors can you achive? do you get out of cpu very often?

i also have a 500'book with the emi2|6 audio interface and logic. I'm not confortable at all with the logic's logic and miss ptools ALL the time.
the emi2|6 converters sound nice though, and it gives you 6 outs (not under ptools free), but logic plugins are very cpu exigent: one Platinumreverb, one 4bandEq and 3 plattcompressors (in RMS mode) and I'm out of cpu. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Besides, the emi2|6 records the inputs with a 60ms delay (an emi-usb-emagic bug "..were on it solving.."). Does the mbox do the same?
(you can test it playing a midi clicktrack to a synth and record that as audio. then play both to see if there's any lagging/phase/latency between the two)

BTW how does the converters sound? and what about the "focusrite" mic pres, are they any good? max dBgain? noise? does the box eat all your battery when phantom is on?

Does the mbox work under soundmanager? (to listen to mp3/Cds thru its phones out -better DAs than ibook i guess. i do it with the emi)

i'm thinking about trading the emi for the mbox with ptools LE 5.2 (does it include d-verb?).
And how would i love to be able to record anywhere (=battery powered) without even a mixer! just the icebook, mbox, some good mic and my AKG501 phones.

what can you tell us? we're so impatient [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
thanx in advance, greetings from Mallorca.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:54 AM

>"i'm thinking about trading the emi for the mbox with ptools LE 5.2 (does it include d-verb?)"

Hey jindrich,

Good luck on the trade...

Sounds to me like you've got tons of "catching up" to do. Might I suggest looking at the FAQs, Answerbase, Compatibility Documents & the Tech Doc Library...up to & including the Products Section...

Well, what do ya know, the abovementioned are all at the top of this page [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 AM

Talk to me.... whats the vf124
Old 03-07-2002, 07:20 AM

>"Talk to me.... whats the vf124"

Well, if you must, it's a replacement air group (RAG), that was housed at Miramir, San Diego.

It was, at that time a Naval Air Station (now Marines), where, for a number of years (8+), under the JAG Corp, we did all the aircraft crash investigations, accident reports, court martials, drug use, etc.

Get the picture? Now...talk to me what's the ckerian?

Old 03-07-2002, 08:27 AM

hey vf124,

what do you mean with
"Sounds to me like you've got tons of "catching up" to do... "

i started a decade ago with atari and pro24 -so figure the rest- and I've been reading this forum for over a year. I do know how ptools work (more or less) and that way of doing things is exactly what i miss in logic.
In ptools everything is so intuitive.. plus i get MAD by the fact that you can't zoom to sample level in logic's arrange window (among other 100 things)
I know some things are now 'fixed' in logic 5 (like a usable automation, but NOT Wet monitoring or recording yet!!!) still prefer digi however. i better like the ptools cleaniness too, logic sounds too "grainy" to me.

it's funny that most ptools users want to migrate to logic whereas other logic users would like to have those ptools abilities. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] You always wish what you dont own.

not decided the switch yet but seroiuosly consider though i know there're not mbox drivers for logic (and probably never will)

anyway Daryl, we wait for your input
cheers,