Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 AM

Default partion reads transfer only?

i partitioned my hard drive in vista. I'm using an mbox 2. i don't have a dedicated external hard drive yet. So, I'm assuming I should partition the hard drive, at least...correct?

When I try to record to this drive it says this volume is set for transfer only and to change it in the workspace window. When I open the workspace window this volume does not appear?

I have the drive formatted to NTFS.

Any suggestions??

thx
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Re: partion reads transfer only?

There is no performance boost with a partition of your system drive. You need to open the workspace browser(in PT) and change the T to an R. If it won't let you do that, you probably formatted the partition as a Dynamic drive and it must be a Basic drive. You would have to reformat by deleting the Dynamic Partition(back up anything on there) and reformat. I can't tell you how to do it on Vista as I am staying with XP.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There is no performance boost with a partition of your system drive. You need to open the workspace browser(in PT) and change the T to an R. If it won't let you do that, you probably formatted the partition as a Dynamic drive and it must be a Basic drive. You would have to reformat by deleting the Dynamic Partition(back up anything on there) and reformat. I can't tell you how to do it on Vista as I am staying with XP.
thx...it is formatted as "simple", "basic", and "NTFS"

but if there is no performance advantages with a system drive partition then I'll just delete it
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM

The whole idea of the separate hard drive for recording is; while windows(or any OS) is running, there are always things going on in the background that have the OS accessing different parts of the system drive. This robs performance as audio recording takes a lot of resources on its own drive, and having to share the drive head with other tasks just pulls the drive in too many directions(like you having to do too many things at once....something suffers). Remember when you do get around to adding another drive, your options are another internal drive(on a desktop computer) which is the cheapest way to go. External drives can be a firewire drive (you need an approved firewire card or a compatible onboard firewire port) with an Oxford chipset (OWC, Glyph and Lacie are safe bets). eSATA drives appear to work even though they are not tested or approved(mine works fine anyway). USB drives are not supported or recommended at all. Firewire800 is a question mark for now but some have it working and some are using 9 pin to 6 pin cables to attach an FW400 drive to an FW800 port.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

I use a Terabyte Mybook external. thing works great. And it's a terabyte!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM

More gigs are like 4 wheel drive...You get stuck 50 feet farther in, more data to lose.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Although it is not recommended, you can record on the system drive. I have lived dangerously numerous times, including using Pro Tools LE 7.x on a Dell Latitude X1 with a Mbox 2 to record a live show using a couple of Crown condensers... Windows XP SP2, 1.1gHz Core Solo, 1.25gb RAM, 1.8" 4,800rpm internal PATA drive.

Very exciting. Watching it, waiting for it to blow up... worked brilliantly, though! :)