Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools "House Settings"//Session exchange

...why don't you create a new session from your favorite template, then import session data from the session from outside your studio? This will give you all your default settings, views, etc. with all the data, tempo info, etc. from your outside session.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Well, because doing it that way is a lot of extra work, and it could also easily lead to either potential disk allocation problems or lots of extra disk space being used.

Plus, when you import session data, it changes your IO setup to match whatever paths are used on the session you're importing from, rather than changing the paths to conform with those already in your current IO setup -- that in particular is my biggest peeve with the way things are now.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM

Definitely sucks... Same boat being that I was working on something & wanted to go back to NO backups because of opening som1 else session... Which brings me to this; Why the hell would Anyone NOTTTT have backup on anyway????

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Well,

I guess I'm glad to hear that its not just me.
I hope someone from Digi is reading/listening. :|
Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Hear hear!
Put me down for the option to import prefs in a session...!
Just like Final Cut... ? Which has had this capability for years?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 AM

We have the same problems in our studios too. So I'd really want to have a better distinction between console and session prefs and which is which. Being able to choose which prefs to use on opening a session would be a treat!

As a workaround I had written an Apple-Script that let the user choose on Mac startup whether to return the prefs to our standard-settings or leave them as they are. This seemed like a very good idea, unfortunately Pro Tools sometimes on some of our systems does not seem to like the standard prefs the script copies to the prefs folder and reverts to it's factory settings. Only a Mac restart can fix this (most of the time). I don't have the slightest idea why PT acts that way. :-(
So, some kind of prefs management or "user profiles" included in PT would be great and a big time saver!

Chris
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 AM

Oh, btw, here's what the Apple script does:
#####
activate
display dialog "reset Pro Tools Preferences ?"
tell application "Finder"
duplicate file "Users:Shared:Admin Infos:Pro Tools v7.3.1 Preferences" of startup disk to folder "Users:user:Library:Preferences:" of startup disk with replacing
end tell
######

Maybe somebody can use this, it took me some time to find the correct Apple script arguments and paths.

Chris