Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Default melodyne is very glitchy anyone ever have any problem like this

every time i use melodyne it takes so much time because it captures the audio and has little glitches in there that sound so bad. and i end up having to apply it to one track at a time and still have to solo that track and listen just to make sure that there isnt any glitches. then go through and re capture the places where there are glitches.

i thought it was lack of ram and i bought another 4 gigs of ram and still not much of an improvement. shouldnt i be able to run several instances at least of this plug in without having to transfer the corrections to another track without it getting glitchy. i spend more time trying to make sure there isnt any glitches than actual pitch correction.

i have always been impressed with what melodyne can do but as long as i have had it i dont ever really use it because of this.

any ideas

thanks,
Russell
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Re: melodyne is very glitchy anyone ever have any problem like this

I have also stopped using it. The bug where melodyne plug keeps playing after you hit stop just drove me insane. They have not fixed this for 2 years now and it's still in PT8.
I give up with them.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
i end up having to apply it to one track at a time and still have to solo that track and listen just to make sure that there isnt any glitches. then go through and re capture the places where there are glitches.
I like Melodyne so much and always use it when it is needed, that the quoted text above is just what I have come to accept as the Melo Work-flow.

I use it mainly (only) on critical lead vocal things. If I need to use it on something else, I just hire a player that can play it right.

Sometimes, you don't get to choose who the lead vocalist is... Sometimes, you are compelled to work with a less-than-killer singer. It doesn't happen very often for me, thank goodness.

But when you need to polish something that needs polish, Melodyne does the deed. Work with what cha got, babeee......

My two cents.....

Here's a thought that has worked for me... Melodyne seems to track a little better with hotter tracks. The glitching I see on a regular basis occurs in words or sounds I call buzzy sounds. But, I definitely will re-capture a thing on occasion to see if I can Beat-The-Glitch.

YMMV

Last edited by studiostuff; 03-23-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Another thought to add...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM

For me, Melodyne plugin only glitches when I'm trying to do other things at the same time as transferring material into it. Rule of thumb: Keep your mitts off the mouse while capturing.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Are you referring to the Melodyne Plug-in? I use the Melodyne Plug-in all of the time and I don't think I ever run into "glitches." If you are using the plug-in, can you further explain the glitches?

I can't speak for using Melodyne Bridge. I stopped using the stand alone version the day the plug-in came out. The plug-in does exactly what I want Melodyne to do and does a fantastic job at it.

Edit:

I just noticed that you are referring to the plug-in. I don't have those problems.... ever... Are you on the latest update? Do these glitches happen after you do pitch correction, or just after the import?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM

it is the plug in version the glitches that i am getting sounds like it mistrigers notes and dropouts and little fuzzy glitchy spots i dont mind the parts on the end of vocal lines because alot of the time they can be deleted from the selection

i have also noticed that there is a slight degradation of the sound once it is run through the plug in after it is bounced to another track.

Dizzi Are you bouncing the corrected audio to another track or just leaving the plug in active and letting it work while you Work?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBuckle View Post
I have also stopped using it. The bug where melodyne plug keeps playing after you hit stop just drove me insane. They have not fixed this for 2 years now and it's still in PT8.
I give up with them.
Are you sure this is a Melodyne only bug? This sort of thing happens to me whenever I am running a bunch of memory intensive synths and I am pushing my computer to the limit. I have yet to see this happen with Melodyne, but it happens quite often for me with other synths and etc.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM

i dont run any synths only real musicians recorded on audio tracks.

i am running a hd2 system with 5 gigs of memory also am not runing but maybe 1 other instance of a rtas plug in besides melodyne and everything else is tdm

also i usually make tracks that i am not actually pitch correcting inactive so they dont tax the computer while i am trying to process the tracks. with the exception of maybe one reference track like a rhythm guitar or something to use for judgment purpose.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Did you try raising the buffers in PT8 before using melodyne (at least 1024)
It usually does the trick for me
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

actually they are already at 1024 should they be higher