Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Re: PT8: should I worry or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
i don't hear much about carbon copy cloner

was there some issue about that one?

i use it

and just wondering why most of you guys seem to mention super duper over carbon copy cloner (just wondering)
I use carbon copy cloner. It works pretty well. Once in a while there is a hitch. I have not tried Super Duper however.
Cheers
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I use carbon copy cloner. It works pretty well. Once in a while there is a hitch. I have not tried Super Duper however.
Cheers
same experience here

sometimes the second try works and i don't know why

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM

I have only used Carbon Copy once (when I upgraded to Pro Tools 8 and OS 10.5). No problem here.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
I think PT8 has been the best and most trouble free upgrade ever. Buy a new drive and install a fresh OS and PT8. That way there is little or no risk.
Thanks Will, that's a good tip! I watched the PT video on comping and that would indeed be a nice feature to have because I record vocals and other repeating takes a lot. Would be definitly a faster way to listen to the different takes.

Just another concern I have: I currently use 2x Sony 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Because of the different layout of PT8, would I benefit from a wide screen 22" 1980x1080 displays!

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM

A lot of the guys I talk to here in LA have switched back from v8 to v7.4.2... I'm beginning to see why. I must have done something wrong but PT8 has been an absolute miserable experience for me. I depend on PT for my income and I just can't have it randomly crashing like it does. At least 2-3 times a day.. and there's other weird anomalies going on as well. Just in general, the most unstable protools experience I've ever had (and I've been using it all day, every day for the past 13 years).

Sorry to rain on the parade.
IMDB
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM

As far as monitors go I would look at a taller monitor if you are gonn ause the extra five inserts.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundReplay View Post
Thanks Will, that's a good tip! I watched the PT video on comping and that would indeed be a nice feature to have because I record vocals and other repeating takes a lot. Would be definitly a faster way to listen to the different takes.

Just another concern I have: I currently use 2x Sony 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Because of the different layout of PT8, would I benefit from a wide screen 22" 1980x1080 displays!

Thanks!
I have a dual setup as well, one 23" and one 19", sounds weird I know, but they are VESA mounted and not side by side. I like it that way. 23" is more then enough for the PT 8 Mix & Edit Window IMHO.

SuperDuper is a godsend! I have had 0 issues with it, and like the previous poster said, it's free!

I really don't know why people are reporting such instability with PT 8. It works stable on both my systems, and believe me when I tell you I have A LOT of plugins. It does have some bugs that are being worked out, but not anything that show stops me in any session I have been doing in front of a client. If you install everything right and make sure your plugins are compatible I don't see where you would fall into any problems.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post
A lot of the guys I talk to here in LA have switched back from v8 to v7.4.2... I'm beginning to see why. I must have done something wrong but PT8 has been an absolute miserable experience for me. I depend on PT for my income and I just can't have it randomly crashing like it does. At least 2-3 times a day.. and there's other weird anomalies going on as well. Just in general, the most unstable protools experience I've ever had (and I've been using it all day, every day for the past 13 years).

Sorry to rain on the parade.
Wow. Funny how we can have the exact opposite experience. FWIW- I did a clean install on a new drive and was VERY careful to update ALL of my plugins.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS