How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Default Software Sequencing: External Hardware vs Virtual Instruments

Greetings,

I currently produce (make beats) using old hardware (s950 sampler, sp1200 drum machine, ensoniq eps16+ sampler) in addition to newer stuff like a Motif ES rack and a Korg MicroKorg.

The SP and S950 are the brains of my mostly sample based set up. The main flaw in the sp sequencer is that it can not send note off messages, so you are restricted to triggering one shot samples/chops/loops. When I want to sequence the MicroKorg and Motif, I slave the EPS sequencer to the sp sequencer so that I can have the synths playing basslines and leads over my sp-1200/s950 beats.

This set up has served me well but I figured I wold give my new Mac Book Pro a shot at doing he job of the EPS thru software like pro tools.

While in Pro Tools (7.4) I understand how to trigger midi instruments just fine. I notice that sending midi data to ITB samplers like battery results in timing that is spot on when I trigger samples from my pad/key controllers!!

Here is my problem:
If I route this same midi track to my external gear (sp-1200, first in the chain), I can feel a definite sloppiness/latency when programming and triggering drums/sample chops that is just NOT present when triggering Battery in a similar fashion. This has be very frustrated.

I am using an MAudio1814 firewire interface with integrated Midi ports. Is this simply just a lag from the programming having to send data OUT of the box rather then send the data within the program? Keep in mind I know all about buffer settings.

The interface has worked great for sending clock data out to my hardware so that I can track in audio. I haven't done much in terms of triggering midi hardware sounds though.

Would a stand alone midi interface cure this? What gives?

If this doesn't work out I will either keep the eps or get rid of the eps and sequence the sp-1200,s950, korg, and motif all from an MPC.