Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Cubase 7 is out with a BANG ! Avid We Need PT 11 !!

Every time some other DAW has a major upgrade these posts will surface.
Maybe Cubase is for you but the real issue is working and the music or whatever else you use it for.

I know people who constantly make changes, buy different plugins, post all day long but do not work.

I'm sure I am an idiot but I generally don't even do an update unless I have to.
Worrying about what you might be missing is not they way I work anymore. I stopped reading the magazines too. It all just gets in the way of working.

The first studio I worked at used mac OS9 and PT5.2 and when I asked why they did not use the new OSX which just came out they said because we work.
They did not even know what the DUC was.

They are still very successful and I am very glad that is the first studio I worked in because they taught me many valuable lessons.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Dear bachhus ... I am not an audio engineer and didn't study anything related to audio ... i am what you call a week-end enthusiast or more ....
yeah i kinda figured thats where you were at... i was mostly been a smart arse for kicks... yeh if you're into midi composing, you're correct there have been better options than pt on that front.. VIs are not its strong suite but that is obviously changing for the better with recent releases...

just enjoy PT10 if thats what you're running now.. there are a crapload of really intuitive, workflow tricks you may not be aware of yet.. pro tools has always had a good sized learning curve.. a LOT has changed since pt7....

when i went to school for this stuff, we were running 5.2!! hahah my mbox 2 pro came with 6.7PTLE...

i'm perfectly happy with 10.3.2 while there may be some fancy features on other packages.. the reality is i dont ever feel the need for much more than what i've got... it works... does exactly what i need when tracking / mixing... i would rather Avid take their time with pt 11 so we get the best DAW available... there is still plenty of work to be done on AAX implementation so i think they could use a break on that front as well...

sorry we made yah hate cubase... I ran early versions of those packages early on... cubendo was always way too much flash for me... felt like a broken toy, not the professional setup PRO TOOLS has always offered... so i' stay where i belong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
What's interesting to me is that Steinberg has taken Cubase towards Garageband, and are making Nuendo strictly a Post Production tool, at least that's how they are selling it.

To me, this leaves PT perfectly positioned to serve the music audio engineer, which of course is where PT shines and has always done well historically. Combined with Avid jettisoning the consumer lines, this looks good to me. I need Avid back to focusing on audio engineers like me.
exactly!! could've said it better myself, but i was busy mixing.!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM

Been a PT user since 5.1 TDM. Now I have a much more powerful PT10 native system. I sometimes even do my midi composing in it. More often I use Logic 9 for midi composing. However, Logic 9 is beginning to smell like adandonware which leads me to being curious about Cubase or even Ableton Live or even going back to good old DP. Logic as it exists now has many more bugs than PT, Cubase has always struck me as insanely obtuse. Ableton is intriguing but baffling. And DP seems like it's really for the geriatric set. So there you have it. Perhaps I'll get more into composing in PT, as that's where I end up mixing anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM

i'm with you there BG, my buddy owns Logic 9. I have not had a chance to get into it much but I instantly hit the same wall I did years ago. Again, I have found issues with the mix engine... just about anything i toss at it, comes out sounding like it was mixed on a computer... I absolutely hate that... sounds plastic and fake... sad really, considering how long its been around now... But yes I believe Apple has walked away from the platform altogether and as such we may never see a proper working version 9 Logic...

I have been looking at pro tools more and more for composing as it just feels silly to hop back and forth between apps, specially since everything else always feels a cupboard short of a soup kitchen, when comparing other software packages. Hell even though Reason is sounding better these days, there is no workflow intuitiveness with it what so ever so I dont even bother with it any more...

Sadly it seems every other daw out there is happy remaining locked up in the closet, catering to your avg weekend enthusiast..

PTHD/Native absolutely rocks in my books

Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM

It's interesting that when I moved from Logic at PT7, having been through Notator (showing my age), Cubase, DP and Logic over the years, midi composing was not the best and the editing was, shall we say, awkward. I got around this by playing better rather than spending time editing.
I don't like the concept of using multiple apps so am more than happy with PT10. I start pretty much all my work in midi and don't find the midi side limiting at all.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM

I do the odd freelance job on Cubase for a client, and have seen it thru various versions. I must say it is certainly far better than it was, and the 6+ versions running on 64 bit are quite good IMO.
Its hard to comment on the mix engine, because I have better convertors on my ProTools rig, and a better room, so they make a much greater difference than the subtleties of the mixer.
VI performance is miles ahead of Tools, but straight out audio editing is where Cubase frustrates me.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM

DJ. Yep this is a PT forum so you know what you are going to get. Thing is most of these guys may be GREAT engineers, but might not be the best at creating music. Not to mention so many of them grew up with PT and thats all they know. I have been around since reel to reel to the days of Atari computers running cubase to pentium 2 PCs with 16mb of ram to ADATS, to....you get the picture. I have pro tools AND cubase (as well as Sonar, Nuendo, Logic, reasons, etc). Pro tools users seem to more brand biased (to snobbish) but thats a good thing.

Both are great tools. But one is better and some task then the other. I find it funny when Pro Tools fans diss Cubase. its not the end all be all people. I remember a conversation of someone saying "The Macarena" would be better if it had been recorded on an SSL. My answer was and is "who cares". Making music is just that, making music. Cubase (or Sonar, Logic, etc) is certainly capable of making a hit record. isnt that what we all want at the end of the day?

Ive been in some of the best studios with everything you can imagine. BUT, the music I heard had no life. Was it clear? yes. Was it good? not so much. Dont get me wrong Pro Tools is a great DAW. It has been used to record a ton of platinum songs. It truly is a Pro Tools. But it doesnt make music, thats your job.

My point is more to those dissing cubase (which I use for production and some recording). Can you honestly say that Cubase is subpar? Before you answer, remember there is a ton of classic music out there recorded on tape. Certainly Pro Tools is better than tape right? But do we call tape trash or sub par? I think there is enough praise due to Pro Tools without having to belittle another DAW.

Pro Tools is just that, a tool. But not the only tool. Blessings!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Just to let you know, way before I ever touched Pro Tools, I was using Vision and Performer, before they even had digital recording capability. So I go back that far. Then I picked up Logic Audio v 2.7 and used that with an ADAT deck and a stack of synths, eventually heading to Pro Tools 5.1 (I still have that old mix system) with a stack of synths and drum machines, and then finally back to Logic at v 7 when they finally included all the synths and samplers, and now I have this hybrid thing where I program in Logic, sometimes mix demos in it, but do final stuff in PT. But I'm beginning to get into the workflow of composing in PT too, and it's just easier since I'm going to end up there.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm not a Pro Tools only guy at all. And I'm more a composer, producer than an engineer.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
someone saying "The Macarena" would be better if it had been recorded on an SSL. My answer was and is "who cares". Making music is just that, making music. Cubase (or Sonar, Logic, etc) is certainly capable of making a hit record. isnt that what we all want at the end of the day?
hahah... macarena... lol..

unfortunately while you're correct, i'm afraid i'd only pay 0.50 for a song if you told me you mixed it on cubendo....

Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM

nobody is going to switch from PT to Cubase - there are so many things in PT that are not available in Cubase.