Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Default G5 7.4 HD2 to Mac Pro HD1 migration issues

Humble greetings to the Group,

I just switched from PT 7.4 HD2 on a (PCI) Dual 2Ghz G5 to a PT 8 HD1 on loaded (PCIe) Mac Pro. Wow - long and painful process. 7.4 HD2 on the G5 was awesome - rock solid, no bugs, no latency, Stylus RMX worked fast and perfectly, etc. (I still have my G5 and HD2 system, and could try installing PT 8 on it. I really don't need the speed of the Mac Pro, I don't do huge live recording or mixing sessions with tons of plug-ins.)

NOTE: I used SuperDuper to clone my old G5 hard drive to my new Mac Pro to avoid having to re-install of my numerous instruments and other plug-ins. Could that be a problem? Maybe that's the problem, and not PT 8?

Here are some of the weirdnesses in PT8 on the Mac Pro:

1) RTAS: I'm getting RTAS errors and dialogues ("Please cut down on RTAS plug-ins" etc.) when I use only ONE or TWO RTAS instruments. What the? The errors usually go away, but come on, folks. (I have checked the Reference Guide and have optimized all the settings.)

2) Latency: I just want to record a single vocal track, no plug-ins of any kind, on any tracks, with a very small number of tracks. Even with all my settings optimized (including the lowest setting of a 64-sample buffer), I still have a small but noticeable latency recording a simple vocal track. Am I doing something wrong? Did I have latency with the G5 HD2 7.4 and I just don't remember it?

3) Bugginess: Using Stylus RMX, in auditioning various grooves in time with my song, PT 8 sometimes just quits sending RMX audio (and has done so with other RTAS instrument plug-ins). I discovered that for some reason if I reset the Master Fader track outputs to be Main 1-2 (I have to do this every few minutes), the audio magically kicks back in and I can go back to working and auditioning grooves. Total nightmare.

Anyway, thanks very much for reading all of this and I really appreciate any suggestions you might have. I suspect that I may end up trying installing PT8 on my trusty G5 and all will be right with the world.

All the best,
Benjamin
Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 AM

Default Re: G5 7.4 HD2 to Mac Pro HD1 migration issues

Yeah, even though a lot of programs claim to be universal, when you install software it still threads the codes for ppc or INTEL. So you have migrated a lot of software over to your intel that is tyring to utilize ppc codes! The processor is pissed off! You need to reinstall all pro tools things and it will make your G5 look like a tonka toy!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJammin222 View Post
NOTE: I used SuperDuper to clone my old G5 hard drive to my new Mac Pro to avoid having to re-install of my numerous instruments and other plug-ins. Could that be a problem?

Yep, As Ajastudios as already pointed out, That is definitely your problem! you need to zero the drive and install Leopard fresh then the combo updater to 10.5.6 then install everything again using the UB/intel installers. although UB installers are for both it will install differently according to the OS its installing on.

Any PPC installers will confuse your system for sure.

Sorry! but its back to the beginning and start again

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks to both of you for your outstanding replies. Very good to know, even if it's bad news.

So I now face a choice:

1) Go back to the stable G5 and install PT8 on it.
TIME REQUIRED: 10 minutes

or

2) Wipe out Mac Pro drive, re-install OS X 10.5.6, freshly install PT8 and then hundreds of plug-ins (many of which need to be updated to Intel) and pieces of software I've ever owned.
TIME REQUIRED: 15 years

Is there really that much benefit to having the Mac Pro? I do small pop music sessions with a fair amount of RTAS instruments. My dual 2.0 Ghz G5 has 8GB of RAM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM

PT8, G5, and RTAS VIs, should not even appear in the same paragraph.

Go Mac Pro.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM

+1

15 Years of work! Excuse me when I say the difference between a G5 and Mac Pro is about 15 years of advancement in technology!

Go Mac Pro!

BJammin222 are you in the Los Angeles or NYC area?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 AM

Hey AjaStudios,

Great note. And thanks also to the others who wrote. I'm keeping my G5 to keep working on my immediate projects, but I am also starting a complete re-install of everything onto my Mac Pro. Once I have the new system running for a few months with everything happy, I'll sell my G5.

I'm in LA but in NYC a lot. Let's connect sometime.

Benjamin