Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2001, 07:55 AM

Default disk allocation/ session template??

I have 4 16gig cheetah hotswaps, pt 5.1.1.
Whats the proper way to create a template that will record to all 4 hotswap drives AND create folders with the NEW SESSION song name and audio/fade folders inside them? My audio and fade files have all been going to the session template folder instead of individual song folders when creating a new session from the template. thanks guys....
Old 07-30-2001, 11:05 AM

Default Re: disk allocation/ session template??

hey flunky -

though i've never tried to do exactly what you are doing, i think this should work, as i've dealt with templates and disc allocation alot.

- make your template just allocate to the disc its on
- open the template, and rename, putting the session wherever you want it.
- go to disc allocation, and you can either select multiple tracks (shift-select) and put them to specific discs in groups, or i guess you could round-robin them at that point - whichever you want to accomplish.

the point is, you've got to point it to new directories when you create the new sessions based on the template, otherwise it does what you've seen which is allocate to folders for the template.

took me forever to get in the habit of re-allocating disc space EVERY time i used a template.

=a=
Old 08-04-2001, 10:43 PM

If I understand what you want there is an easier way.

Take your template(s) that you like and make a copy on each partition. Then open them for each one and edit the template and change disk allocation for that particular partition. Then you don't have to remember to reallocate disk on each new session. You would just open the corresponding template on whatever disk you want to work on. I have been doing this for 6 years, works great.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: MacDaddy WGAR ]
Cleveland, OH
Old 08-04-2001, 10:46 PM

If I understand what you want there is an easier way.

Take your template(s) that you like and copy over to each partition. Then open and edit the template and change each one to do disk allocation for that particular partition. Then you don't have to remember to reallocate disk on each new session. been doing this for 6 years works great.

Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 08-07-2001, 01:04 AM

Please everyone, be very cautious with reallocating on 5.1.1

I've had to trash the big 3 (PT prefs, Digi Setup, DAE prefs) a few times since the new upgrade and THE SESSIONS DON'T RECALL THE PROPER ALLOCATION.

Major bummer; always check anyway!

Howard Karp