Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Default 9.2 Crashes Continuously: 6 in one hour...

I am not doing anything radical here. I am running 2BFD2 Plugins while reading midi and editing midi for those plugins (also running to stero tracks)....

Ram usage 1.5 gig...

Crashes on Mac have been 6 the last hour! 9.1 was way more stable on 2,25 tower...

What is up?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Default Re: 9.2 Crashes Continuously: 6 in one hour...

so here i am answering my own thread..

problem fixed... reinstalled 002 drivers and driver update, things seem to be better... i do not understnd why i would have to reinstall there...

-SteveB.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Well avid, you still have a problem here things are better but not great crashes are still happening
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well avid, you still have a problem here things are better but not great crashes are still happening
Actually, Avid's stock has doubled over a couple months, so I'm pretty sure it's you who has the problem.

If 9.0.1 was more stable, why not revert?

What other troubleshooting have you tried? Is BFD2 up to date? All your other plugins, and ReWire apps (Reason/Record, etc)?

What version of OSX are you running? Are you using a dedicated hard drive for your sessions?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
Send me some .dlogs after you experience a crash so I can take a look at what's causing it.

<user>/Library/Logs/AvidLogFiles

[email protected]

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Actually, Avid's stock has doubled over a couple months, so I'm pretty sure it's you who has the problem.

I am a fully trgitered user , with no cracks s/w using PT for 5 years...

If 9.0.1 was more stable, why not revert?

no reinstall was provided, I do not feel like doing a time machine backup...

What other troubleshooting have you tried? Is BFD2 up to date? All your other plugins, and ReWire apps (Reason/Record, etc)?

running a session with 2 stereo tracks, 2 BFD2s , current version

What version of OSX are you running? Are you using a dedicated hard drive for your sessions?

OSX 10.6.6 , yes on the dedicated drive, I sent crash reports to Tim at Avid see above e-mail request...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Why is there not a module inside or outside PT that checks for incompatible drivers/programs, known plug-in versions, etc.? This module could be frequently updated by Avid, third parties and users and then auto-downloaded to users. We don't need long reports- just installed plug-in versions that might be causing problems. The same window that reports file problems when a session loads could handle this task. With the complexity of current audio programs this seems like an easy one.

I had a big problem with PT 8 that went on for weeks. Tech support had me doing all sorts of gyrations. Turned out to be a bad firewire cable to my ADVC100.

The process of checking plug-in compatibility is daunting. The various manufacturers have to cooperate to get products out to market anyway, so why not a helper module?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofp View Post
Why is there not a module inside or outside PT that checks for incompatible drivers/programs, known plug-in versions, etc.? This module could be frequently updated by Avid, third parties and users and then auto-downloaded to users. We don't need long reports- just installed plug-in versions that might be causing problems. The same window that reports file problems when a session loads could handle this task. With the complexity of current audio programs this seems like an easy one.

I had a big problem with PT 8 that went on for weeks. Tech support had me doing all sorts of gyrations. Turned out to be a bad firewire cable to my ADVC100.

The process of checking plug-in compatibility is daunting. The various manufacturers have to cooperate to get products out to market anyway, so why not a helper module?
We've had incompatibility plug-in checks before - which are helpful. What we have now is the ".dlog" files which can spotlight precisely what the problem issue can be. As Apple, Google, Mozilla, Microsoft do when apps crash, the crash log is reported. This is what the ".dlog" represents.

A "pre-screen" plug-in checker can call out unsupported plug-ins but does not give us information of whether or not any of those plug-ins are actually causing any problem. ".dlog" files tell us a lot: from system specs, installed plug-ins, engine settings, and most importantly what precise component was responsible for triggering the crash.

In the future we hope to have this set to report automatically to an internal database of some sort. For now, zip a few of the last modified and post them.

Regards,

-tv

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Just for the record, these crashes may mean something is up... As requested by Tim at Avid (earlier in this thread) I sent some logs to him, he requested a little bit of patience after I re-e-mailed him... I am still expericeing crashes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
Just for the record, these crashes may mean something is up... As requested by Tim at Avid (earlier in this thread) I sent some logs to him, he requested a little bit of patience after I re-e-mailed him... I am still expericeing crashes
I reported a list of outdated plug-ins, Steve, and am still narrowing in on precise issue here - though my bet is a combo of a bad memory address call by an outdated plug-in being made while overall memory use is teetering on max due to BF2D doing its sample hog routine....I suggest updating those plug-ins pronto.

Best,

-tv