Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Can\'t get Digi 002 to work - frustrated.

Last night I received my new computer and my 002. I installed everything the way the Getting Started Guide instructed. When I double-click on the Pro Tools icon and I get an error report dialog.

I called Digidesign and the support person says I have a via chipset and a P4 processor and that combination won't work with our product. Not happy.

So I went down to CompUSA and bought another motherboard with the Intel 865PE chipset (recommended). As long as I was down there, I decided to get a the Adaptec 4300 Firewire card, so I won't have to deal with someone saying the firewire card wasn't supported.

I installed the motherboard, and tried Pro Tools again. No good. I then Came out to this discussion form and based on posts, unistalled Pro Tools, Removed Drivers and deleted all instances of dalwdm.* and powered down the computer. I made sure the 002 was powered on and then powered up the computer. Next I installed Pro Tools (using default install settings) and restarted the computer. Once it was back up I double-clicked on the Pro Tools icon and I get an error report dialog.

I tried to call Tech Support back and they have decided to take the rest of the day off for a meeting. Now I'm very upset as I took the day off so I could have Tech Support as a resource while I intalled the 002. So I burned a day of vacation only to be frustrated and receive no help from degigdesign. Enough venting.

Here is what I have:

MSI Motherboard Socket 478, Intel Chipset 865PE
512MB RAM DDR 2100
Intel P-4 2.6Ghz Processor (Hyperthreading is not upported with this model)
Adaptec 4300 Firewire Card
Windows XP w/ SP-1
200GB Hard Drive (50GB C:, 150GB D:) D: is formated using 32K Allocation Unit Size.
Digi 002 System w/ Protools 6.1.1
IDE Controllers are set to DMA if Available
Power Management is set to Always On
ClearType Font Smoothing is disabled
I have tried network connections set both disabled and enabled.

In device manager the 002 shows up and it does not show any problems.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue? I haven't found anything in AnswerBase.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Can\'t get Digi 002 to work - frustrated.

So when you install Pro Tools 6.1 - you ignored the Hardware Wizard, you ran the Setup program and hit the Continue button on the warning dialog about the driver not being signed.. you get the dialog telling you to restart... All right so far?

If this is correct, then I'd suggest you a) reinstall XP and do all the updates, then try again - or b) create a new user account, set up a minimum hardware profile and turn off all services you don't need.. then try installing again.

Don't install the ASIO or WaveDriver until you have Pro Tools working.. and don't update to 6.1.1 until you have 6.1 working.

BTW - what is the error you get when you run Pro Tools?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-20-2004, 03:29 PM

Windows XP Pro. Yes I have Service Pack 1. It comes with the CD.

Pro Tools LE version is 6.1.1 on the CD, it isn't an upgrade.

This is a fresh install of XP. I will however create a new user and shut down as many services as I can. Seems like a lot of work just to get the thing to work.

I will also uninstall the ASIO sofwtare.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:39 PM

I'm still curious about what error was reported when attempting to start PTLE, and was Windows re-installed after changing the motherboard?

Old 02-20-2004, 04:23 PM

Once the motherboard was installed I ran the XP Pro CD and executed the repair procedure. Next
loaded the drivers for the soundcard, chipset, display driver, etc.

Here is the Error Message:

Pro Tools Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you click on "Click Here" you get:

AppName: protoolsle.exe AppVer: 6.1.1.53 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 020feab2

There is more details, but I am unable to cut and paste the rest.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't "repair" but do a complete CLEAN install.. reformat your drives and everything.

If you get that error again.. grab a screen capture (Alt+Print Scrn)... then email it to me.

Rail
Old 02-20-2004, 05:12 PM

I took your advice and did a clean install (reformatted the hard drive even). I left the default drivers that windows installed for everything (VGA, Firewire etc.)

Next I installed Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 without the WaveDriver or ASIO software and it finally came up! Now I am installing the Ethernet drivers to download the new firmware.

Thanks for everyone's help. I am hoping to enjoy a weekend of learning how my 002 works.

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2004, 05:19 PM

Good

You don't need the ethernet drivers.. when the 002 wants to download the software, it means via the FireWire network.. just say OK.

Rail
Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 AM

Yep Protools is very capricious and wants the system for itself. If you don't make a fresh install of xp before installing PT there are big chances that it won't work. I have two instances of XP on a PT dedicated machine, and on one it works greatly, and the other no way to launch pt.