Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2009, 03:33 AM

Default Importing a midi file

Good morning,

I have a midi file downloaded from internet.
When I import it into Pro Tools I do not have the option to import it into instrument tracks, only to midi tracks.

Ok, I admit I am a newbie when it comes to midi.
I do not have any midi hardware, so I do not here any output through my MBox.

Is it possible to "convert" the midi tracks to instrument tracks ?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Importing a midi file

Hi there Simon,

What I do (I'm a newbie myself), is drag/drop the midi file into the region list. PT asks then to put into a new track or Region List. I select Region List and then you've got the midi plit up in new regions. These can be drag/dropped again onto an Instrument track individually.

Works nice this way. I'm not sure yet if there are even faster/easyer ways to do it.

Regards, Luc.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 AM

Or, to keep from looking for it in the region list, import as u are doing already, othen open an instrument track, & use something we all refer to & love call copy & paste on'eim Or better yet cut & paste... Make the instrument right above the midi file(in the edit window) then put the midi in region view, highlight or grab the region with the hand tool, copy or cut it, press P, & then paste it & this way all ur files will line up without u having to move anything if its multiple files...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Or, to keep from looking for it in the region list, import as u are doing already, othen open an instrument track, & use something we all refer to & love call copy & paste on'eim Or better yet cut & paste... Make the instrument right above the midi file(in the edit window) then put the midi in region view, highlight or grab the region with the hand tool, copy or cut it, press P, & then paste it & this way all ur files will line up without u having to move anything if its multiple files...
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Agreed, SMF importing to the bin will not conform Conductor Rulers.

Importing to Instrument tracks is a functionality that has been requested. Maybe this is not top of the list.

filosofem