Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2001, 08:05 PM

Default my system requirements and what can i do here if i get digi001

Ok i have been hearing all the hype about digital recording on a home pc. I work at Sam Ash and have heard some stuff recorded by some other works and its damn good. I got interested in protools because its so popular and the digi001 has recording software and a soundcard in one package for a reasonable price. Anyway I was wondering if my system could run it and if its gonna work for the type of music I am gonna do. I have Dell Pentium 3 866 intel processor. The chipset is 815e. I have 384 megs of ram and a 45 gig harddrive. I am going to make industrial harder edge rock music on the lines of NIN and stabbing westward. I gonna have guitars, bass, vocals, keyboards, samplers, and drummachines. What is the best way to record the keyboard, sampler, and drummachine parts? Can i run an outside keyboard and sampler and drumachine like boss and roland equipment instead of using the software that protools suggests. How do i run two sounds at once. The digi001 and the one that came with my pc for using other applications on my pc like games and soundforge? If anyone can help me out please respond.

Jay
Old 04-22-2001, 07:10 AM

Default Re: my system requirements and what can i do here if i get digi001

Jay

Yes, your computer setup will work. Digidesign just came out with a new version of software, so what will be important for you is what version of windows are you running, so you get the compatible version of Pro Tools. The Digi 001 interface box is also a Midi interface, so you can plug keyboard controller and drum machine right into it. You can record drums trough Midi on one track, guitar and vocal direct on other tracks, then mix the whole thing down. The Digi 001 card is added as an additional PCI card, your original sound card remains in your PC. Hope this answers your questions.

------------------
Mickey D
Old 04-22-2001, 07:31 AM

What if i get a cheaper drum machine like a boss one or s a cheap sampler as well. I don't think any of them say Midi compatible on them. How does Midi work anyway. Is it easy to use just as recording a regular track.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:44 AM

I would have to say 99.9% of new products are MIDI compatible so that shouldn't be an issue if you are buying something new. Some older products can be problematic even if they are MIDI compatible. Since it sounds like you are somewhat new to this, I would suggest you read some books on the subject in case you haven't already. Actually, even if you have read some, you still NEED to read these two. The MIDI Companion, by Jeffrey Rona and Anatomy of a Home Studio by Scott Wilkinson. They are very good books and I think they will help you a lot. I could keep on going but just let me know if you have any specific questions. BTW, this is the best software program to use in my opinion for the type of music you want to do. If you want some help in selecting gear let me know what kind of budget you are on. I have experience with lots of different things and I make similar music so I may be able to help you weed through the crap and get started with some good stuff.

Jason