Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 AM

Default Waves WLM Loudness Meter - what do you use?

I have checked this site for anything related to a Loudness Meter and found very little information. How is everyone else balancing their tracks for a CD? You can only do so much by ear - surely you need a more accurate method of getting the final Bounced mix to a level that matches a standard loudness level. When we play a CD, we don't need to keep adjusting the level of the volume. So, how are you all doing it??

Waves WLM Loudness Meter is the only piece of software that doesn't need a mortgage to purchase. I'm not going to spend double or more than my Pro Tools DAW on a piece of software that simply informs you of the level of sound from your mix.

I have Pro Tools 9 - I doubt that 10 has this facility - does Pro Tools HD have it? It seems strange to me, that the final phase of recording, mixing, balancing etc is not included in Pro Tools - it takes you so far and leaves you looking elsewhere to complete the task. I'm not looking to make anything like a final product found in professional recording and mastering studios - just to be able to accurately get a number of tracks on a CD all at the same level of loudness.

What do other Pro Tools users use or do to solve this issue? Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Waves WLM Loudness Meter - what do you use?

This part is know as Mastering. Most send it to a Mastering House. Where a few things are used, one a very well treated room, limiters, compressors, various meters (either physical or software or combination of both). And experience. I've mastereda few albums and use all these methods not just for constant levels accross the whole CD, but also so that the bass,mids and highs of each song is not too drastic. You can have a song that is the same level as the next, but if one has WAY more bass then the previous, that's also an issue.
Then when done, listen to iton various systems, Studio speakers, Auratons or NS10's, home theater, quality headphones, cheal headphones, car sound system. Ditherit down to an mp3 (which is where everything ends up anyways) and make sure it's all good.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply - so I guess no one using Pro Tools or at least the majority don't get as far as laying down an album or send it elsewhere...which is a shame. I know what you mean about other eliments apart from loudness....I too have had an issue with bass. I am a teacher with a music degree....I feel I am competent and able to learn new skills....I am sure the level of expertise is extremely high but it's not beyond us mortals....as we were all mere mortals sometime! It would be good to have the software/hardware made available financially to those who aren't making a living from it. It's difficult to justify the expense for some of this kit. I have listened to many other musics and developed a CD of about 20 tracks, all the same but at different levels of loudness.....so I can select one that is close to commercial examples.....this doesn't solve the bass and other issues though and is not a precise science anyway.....one has to do what one can I guess to get the best results they can. Anyway thanks for the response...Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM

the WLM is a tool designed for audio metering for broadcast and cinema. When spots go to air, they need to adhere to certain restrictions in levels and even at times dynamic range (believe it or not.) This plugin provides those parameters.

Music is generally "As loud as you like". Try something like VMeters which has VU, PPM, Peak, True Peak, and K-System metering, and is much cheaper.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Check out this thread. I has a little more info.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=315280

I just bought WLM and love it. It's basically everything the Dolby LM100 and 737 provide but combined, on-screen and for only $300. It also has CVS exportable logging and follow transport. Very full featured. If anything is found to be lacking, I'm sure Waves will create an update. Nothing missing yet though. Definitely download the 7 day demo. Handles mono, stereo and 5.1.

I won't be shocked (and kind of expect) if this type of metering is ultimately included with Pro Tools in 3 or 4 years from now (or a production bundle at very least). As the new EBU, ATSC and ITU specs are mandatory, it makes sense that most DAW creators will begin to provide one of their own for competitive advantage or at least make one available as an add-on. I'm totally speculating of course. I got the WLM now because I can't wait for a free version.

Alexander Jenkins

PS, I create sound design, original score and 5.1 mix for 3D and 4D film, motion ride film, web, 3DTV pay-per-view
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM

To more specifically respond to your question, I've recently been using the Waves Dorrough meters. They are really clean and the motion is really easy to read. http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=8686&l=4
There are some really nice alternatives which have already been listed. for my eye, I like the Dorroughs enough that I will probably stick to these moving forward.

I got them by way of the 360 Surround bundle which includes stereo meters as well.
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=265

They are just like the hardware, but much less expensive and offer more option in how you view them. I think you can download a 7 day demo of them to try out.

Alexander Jenkins
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Thanks Alex and Matt - really helpful - I've checked out Sony's VMeters and Waves Dorrough Meters - both cheaper than the WLM - the Dorroughs look impressive and Sony give yer a choice of mono/stereo/multi-channel. I shall look into them in greater detail but at least I now have something to look at!!! I'm sure your suggestions will be useful for other PT users too. Thanks Mike
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 AM

Vmeters is from VSonics, not Sony!

http://www.vsonics.com/vmeters.php
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiofreq View Post
Very full featured. If anything is found to be lacking, I'm sure Waves will create an update. Nothing missing yet though.
Offline "file based" measurement?.....

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2 View Post
Offline "file based" measurement?.....
You can do Off-Line Exportable CVS logging in Audiosuite. Read below to see if this is what you are wanting.
(I copied and pasted the following off pg. 16 of the WLM user guide)

-------

21. Logging displays CSV logging file options.
  • Select Real-Time CSV File – Choose this option if you need ongoing infinite logging over a real-time audio stream. Remember to create the CSV log file in advance and the logging will take place in real time during measurements. (Pro Tools RTAS should choose this method.)
  • Select Off-Line CSV File – Choose this option when you want to scan a premixed file and draw a log. This file is written only when the WLM plugin is closed, and logs up to four hours of measurements. So, in case you forget to set a real-time log file, you can save an Off-Line CSV which will contain loudness information of the first 4 hours of measurements carried out by that plugin instance. (Pro Tools Audiosuite users should choose this method.)
  • Please note: You must create your log file prior to measuring your program. Off-line logs are generated only upon termination of the plugin instance.