Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 PM

Default OT: Mastering Software - Har-Bal vs. A.A.M.S

Any Har-Bal users ever tried A.A.M.S.? I'm just wondering how it compares sound and accuracy wise. I'm trying the demo of AAMS, and it seems pretty cool, but it's hard to get a feel of both programs since the Har-Bal demo has that 8 bit limitation. AAMS, has more featues and is cheaper, but it doesn't seem to have any 'pro' recognition.

AAMS download ---> http://www.curioza.com/

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: OT: Mastering Software - Har-Bal vs. A.A.M.S

Quote:
AAMS, has more featues and is cheaper, but it doesn't seem to have any 'pro' recognition.
...meanwhile the recognition Har-Bal has received from the mastering community has been universally bad...
Old 02-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks Chris. I was hoping you would respond because I trust your opinion, especially when it comes to mastering. Now, is Har-bal even worth getting for it's analyzing capabilities as a way to learn what I'm doing right or wrong with EQ in my mixes, or is something like Firium combined with Imnspector XL just as good or better? I know that an automatic software mastering solution is hogwash, but if it could help me start to understand the mastering process, that would be nice.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I know that an automatic software mastering solution is hogwash, but if it could help me start to understand the mastering process, that would be nice.

Get This

Ask questions here and other forums. Go and have something mastered, listen and learn. Put an EQ, Comp and Limiter on the master on a mixed track, or better yet, import SEVERAL mixes into a session and play around with EQ, compression and limiting. Pay attention to making them all sound like one project instead of a bunch of songs. Make sure what you do plays to the same apparent level from beginning to end. Don't trust your eyes; trust your ears. Listen to the results; critically.

Just do all that and you'll learn more than those silly apps could ever show you.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
AAMS, has more featues and is cheaper, but it doesn't seem to have any 'pro' recognition.
...meanwhile the recognition Har-Bal has received from the mastering community has been universally bad...
Chris, what in your opinion is not good with Har-Bal would you say? I've got a trial version and I find it very intuitive, userfriendly and effective, but maybe you can elaborate so I see the deficiencies.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 AM

Firium is probably the best budget mastering EQ there is. Loads of functionality and a decent algo. (Even if curve matching has little use outside of sound-design...you can make applause sound like a gentle spring rain easily with it, but turning out a top-notch master is beyond the capability of EQ matching. Period.)

The full Inspector is a fantastic set of meters.

Both get my vote as plugins/processors.

However, neither will teach a person how to master a tune.

Bob Katz' books mentioned earlier are a good way to familiarize yourself with a widely accepted mastering process. However, the only real way to truly develop your skills in mastering is to sit in with a talented engineer and do everything in your power to learn what you can from the time spent with him. Withough hearing what goes on during the mastering porcess, it's very difficult to learn and perfect the craft.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Chris, what in your opinion is not good with Har-Bal would you say? I've got a trial version and I find it very intuitive, userfriendly and effective, but maybe you can elaborate so I see the deficiencies.
The algorithm and the marketing. For more detailed info on what "aint-so-great" about it, in my and other professionals' opinions, try checking out Brad Blackwood's internet forum. It has a very usable search function that will reveal the many discussions on Har-Bal that have taken place there.

Cheers,
Chris

(I am in no way affiliated with PSW or the REP forums. I just don't feel like retyping what's been writ so effectively somewhere else.)
Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 AM

Thankyou Chris!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Thanks you too, Chris.