Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Three questions

I am having three issues with my 002. First, is there any way to rehearse in Pro Tools 7.1? If you record enable the track and hit play, it mutes the enabled channel. I need to play along with the playback without recording to get parts down. Is this possible?

Second, what are channels 5-8 for? The don't have preamps or gain controls on them. I ran my mode 4 into channel 5 with the channel volume maxed and got about 1/4 on the level meter. I ran into channel 1 with the gain control set at 30% and peaked just by rolling my volume knob. Is there any way to increase the input gain on the non-preamped channels? If there isn't, what's the point?

Third, is there any way to moniter channel levels while running in stand-alone? Without a meter bridge, it makes a pretty poor mixer.

Please help. I am getting quite frustrated.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Three questions

I use an mbox, I've never used an 002...
Quote:
I am having three issues with my 002. First, is there any way to rehearse in Pro Tools 7.1? If you record enable the track and hit play, it mutes the enabled channel. I need to play along with the playback without recording to get parts down. Is this possible?
I'm just guessing, based on my mbox's capabilities for this. Is there a mix knob on the 002 that let's you focus in either on all the music playback AND recording instrument, or focus on just the plugged in instrument (with playback quieter in the background)? If so, try turning the knob so playback is quieter, and try to level out your instrument's live sound with the quieter playback, then use the main volume knob to turn it all up.

Again, this is how my mbox does it, and I'm aware that they're completely different. But a mix knob could be on the 002
Old 07-23-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Goto track at the top of the screen, scroll down and click on input only monitoring. This will change the setting auto input monitoring. You should now be able to hear the input in playback mode.

Quote:
Second, what are channels 5-8 for? The don't have preamps or gain controls on them. I ran my mode 4 into channel 5 with the channel volume maxed and got about 1/4 on the level meter. I ran into channel 1 with the gain control set at 30% and peaked just by rolling my volume knob. Is there any way to increase the input gain on the non-preamped channels? If there isn't, what's the point?
The inputs 5 to 8 are for connecting additional preamps, instruments and or effects.

Quote:
Third, is there any way to moniter channel levels while running in stand-alone? Without a meter bridge, it makes a pretty poor mixer.
There are Alt Source RCA inputs on the back which are controlled by a button on the front that say alt src to mon.

Quote:
Please help. I am getting quite frustrated.
There should have been a basic starting guide that came along with your 002r. Go through that book and it will make your life a whole lot easier.

Peace
Old 07-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
If you record enable the track and hit play, it mutes the enabled channel. I need to play along with the playback without recording to get parts down. Is this possible?

there is 2 input options, input only monitor and auto input monitoring.

input only is exactly that, input always on, auto input, monitor input only when recording, and monitoring playback only when playing, for punching in mainly. toggle this with alt+k

Quote:
econd, what are channels 5-8 for? The don't have preamps or gain controls on them. I ran my mode 4 into channel 5 with the channel volume maxed and got about 1/4 on the level meter. I ran into channel 1 with the gain control set at 30% and peaked just by rolling my volume knob. Is there any way to increase the input gain on the non-preamped channels? If there isn't, what's the point?

most os us use them for preamp inputs, from either a mic pre, or guitar pre typically, so to lots of us they are VERY important.

Quote:
is there any way to moniter channel levels while running in stand-alone? Without a meter bridge, it makes a pretty poor mixer.
i dont know what you mean by this question, what are you reffering to as "standalone" do you mean on the 002 control surface?? no meters, just use your ears. not meant to be a great standalone mixer, i dont think people buy it much for that, just a added bonus i think.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 PM

Kryst, just wanted to tell you that there is no mix knob on the 002 nor the rack, only the mbox, and probably mbox 2
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Thank you. Just thought I'd offer some help if possible. I would have thought they'd have it on the 002 as well. Oh well. Hey, and now I've learnt something new about the 002.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Quote:
have you tried the button that says L/R/Meter
go and read the getting started guide then play around with the unit.