Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Digi 002 Power Supply Molex Pinout Voltages

**WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT ANYTHING IN THE POST UNLESS YOU ARE PROPERLY TRAINED, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY, HIGH VOLTAGES INSIDE DIGI 002***

OK, I will try to be brief and focused.

I acquired a Digi 002 in a mess of a gear trade, previous owner said the mute light comes on, stays on and doesn't communicate with computer.

Ok, I though probably the 'ole wiring harness issue.

Brought it home turned it on, mute light came on flickering, then I smelled smoke, I shut it off.

Opened it up, turned it on again, and saw smoke coming from the top right corner of Power Supply---called Uni-Power a new PS is $199---no can do
Also I measured the molex connectors with a Volt meter and got NO voltage on any pins.

Weird because it is supposed to be +3vdc, +5vdc, +12vdc, and -12vdc (according to the spec sticker on PS) very typical computer PS voltages

fast forward to today......

I opened chassis again powered up the unit, and let it start smoking good, then shut it down and confirmed that a transistor by the little blue Voltage trimpot was over heating, I pulled it off the circuit board.

It was melting off the solder pads, I am assuming it is a voltage regulator, (I may also replace and see what happens).

Then thought lets turn it on again and see what else smokes up---nothing did.

I measured the PS Molex pins with a meter again and bingo I have voltage.
double weird. I did all the testing with no circuit board wiring harness connected for safety.

with all correct voltages present(or so it seemed), I hooked up harness and powered unit up.

It powered up and didn't blow up, so I started metering the unit voltages live.

**AGAIN DONT METER IN A LIVE UNIT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!**

after testing I noticed that the 3.3 volt line was only reading 3.1 so I turned the trimpot and increased the voltage to 3.3.

Bam!! 3 relay clicks, the SRC light comes on and the unit is functioning under power and all seems normal.

Still no firewire with computer, although I have a green firewire light on back of Digi---maybe a burned out firewire chip, IDK different issue to start on

My question, does anybody know if these voltages are correct for the wiring harness?-- I may end up doing a custom power supply

Black-- Ground
Blue- +3 vdc
Red- +5 vdc
white- +12 vdc
yellow- -12 vdc
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Power Supply Molex Pinout Voltages

I am having the exact same behavior issue with my 002, minus the smoking. First thing I did was check continuity across every connection point of the 4-part power cable - everything was good. Next, I visually inspected the power supply components and didn't see any obvious blown caps or anything else. Now I'm going to check the things you did and see what happens...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 Power Supply Molex Pinout Voltages

I finally got around to checking the PSU voltages. Here's what I got initially:

Blue: +2.67 vdc
Red: +4.22 vdc
Black: Ground
White: +10.2 vdc
Yellow: 10.1 vdc

After I dug out the green crap they put in the voltage regulator screw (presumably to tell me, "Don't fix this yourself because we want your money"), I was able to get some decent voltage flowing through the circuit. I ended up with:

Black: Ground
Blue: +3.06 vdc
Red: +5.1 vdc
White: -12.5 vdc
Yellow: +12.4 vdc

I shut it down, reconnected the power harness cable to the PSU, flipped it over, powered it up, and... it works. I've tested it with a few sessions and it seems to behave properly... for now!

Thanks for your advice, frets70!