How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Importing Session Data: audio files get copied even when set to link

Hi all,

I can't seem to get Import Session Data to work the way I want it to.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a weekly series that I work on. We have a library of music that has been curated of about 100 different themes. Each week I pull 4-6 pieces from that library to use in the episode that week.

I have all the music cues in a separate Pro Tools session, where I can rank them based on how recently they have been used.

What I like to is: when I've got all the talking pieces arranged in order, I use "Import Session Data" to bring a folder with ALL the tracks from that master music session into the session for my current episode. Then I can easily audition pieces from the entire library.

The Problem:
For some reason, even when I select "Link to files" when importing, it still copies all the audio files from the master music session into the Audio Files folder for the episode session. So, essentially, every time I'm working a new episode, I'm duplicating all the audio files for the music-- which is about 22GB's

I can't figure out what PT's feels the need to duplicate the files. The files have all been converted so that they are WAV files at the exact same sample rate and bit depth as the session they're being imported into...

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2023, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Importing Session Data: audio files get copied even when set to link

No Elastic tracks?

Checked that the source volume isn't set to "Transfer" in Workspace?

Two things offhand to check. It's hard to keep track of what causes PT to not want to link.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Importing Session Data: audio files get copied even when set to link

Thanks for the reply. Both sessions are on the same drive, but the behavior is the same. No elastic tracks either.

The odd thing is that I use this same technique with multiple series and the others work the way they should…