Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 Update - Can't find.

I'm having an issue importing mp3 files into PT 12 HD Native and my tech thinks it's an issue in Pro Tools software and suggesting updating from 12 to 12.??.
I can't find available updates for my PT 12 software in 'my account' on the Avid site. Where do I find the latest software upgrade in which I am entitled?
Thank you.
Rich
Old 06-27-2016, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Update - Can't find.

Latest updates are in your Avid account. You need to be on a support plan to get updates.

I am not sure I recall any MP3 import fixes in Pro Tools 12. Does this person know of a MP3 or related import problem fixed in Pro Tools 12 updates?

The main reason files don't import is they are corrupt. What exactly are you doing and what exact error message/behavior do you get? Does the MP3 play OK in other players? Play all the way through? What software created it? How are you trying to import it? Drag and drop into an (stereo?) audio track or using File>Import? Try both ways. What OS and exact version are you using? Start at the "help us help you" link up top of this page and provide the usual expected information.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm using Windows 7 and Pro Tools HD V12.0.0. I've tried imported using both methods unsuccessfully. The files play perfectly in Window Media player and also when I transfer them to a Roland handheld recorder. I've tried several types of Wav & MP3 files from a ZOOM H6 & the Roland handheld, neither will import. When I try the File>Import audio route and highlight the chosen track, 'convert file' & and 'Add file' as well as drag dropping the file is unresponsive.
Are there any other methods to get these files in Pro Tools?

Since I own PT12 can I upgrade any further than v12.0.0 or am I stuck with v12.0.0? Foe instance, am I eligilble for v12.1?
What were the fixes/improvements in the versions that followed 12.0.0?

Thanks again for the help.
Rich
Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Since I own PT12 can I upgrade any further than v12.0.0 or am I stuck with v12.0.0? Foe instance, am I eligilble for v12.1?
What were the fixes/improvements in the versions that followed 12.0.0?

Thanks again for the help.
Rich
You own Pro Tools 12 or Pro Tools 12 HD?

Again you need to be on a upgrade plan to get updates, *any* updates. Are you on a plan? For Pro Tools 12 *HD* if not worse case you will need to cough up $999 to get your support plan back current again. You need to work out when Pro Tools 12 was purchased and what plan you have/if it is still current.

Release notes for all versions/updates are easily available the Avid's Web site/knowledge base and findable searching there or with Google search. Ironically much of the new features in Pro Tools 12 standard is giving away software features already in Pro Tools HD. There has been little innovation for Pro Tools HD users, well that users actually seem to want, and lots of destabilization of the products, esp. 12.5 and 12.5.1 suck for many users with CPU errors. So no I'd personally be happy not to be paying thought the nose for a Pro Tools HD upgrade/support subscription.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM

12 HD (Native PCIE card)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Yeah that's really unfortunate that I can't find a solution for what used to be such an easy function in my old PT TDM system. I guess to get audio into Pro Tools I'll have to hook my handheld recorder into a preamp then into PT, what a time suck this is going to be. Unbelievable disappointment after spending all that money to upgrade to HD Native...
Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm using Windows 7 and Pro Tools HD V12.0.0. I've tried imported using both methods unsuccessfully. The files play perfectly in Window Media player and also when I transfer them to a Roland handheld recorder. I've tried several types of Wav & MP3 files from a ZOOM H6 & the Roland handheld, neither will import. When I try the File>Import audio route and highlight the chosen track, 'convert file' & and 'Add file' as well as drag dropping the file is unresponsive.
Are there any other methods to get these files in Pro Tools?
I have no reason to believe this has anything to do with HD Native vs TDM or any particular version of Pro Tools 12. More likely your setup/computer is just messed up, if Wav import did not work on Pro Tools (any version) you would have heard people here screaming bloody murder about it... and they have not been. What exactly has your "tech" done to debug this?

If you are coming from something like a Zoom H6 you want to be using basic Wav files, not crappy MP3.

Do some basic troubleshooting if you have not already: Trash preferences. Open a new totally empty session (not from a template, not a copy of a session) at the sample rate you are recording the H6 Wav at. Do an import into that. Make sure the file you are trying to import is manually dragged and dropped to local NTFS disk on your computer, and import it from there, not directly from the H6 or other SD card reader. If that did not work I would uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools. You can also generate a failing wav or mp3 test file and post on dropbox or similar and folks here can test it for you. And for your tests, just in case make sure there are no funky characters or spaces in the file name (rename it say "A.WAV" in Windows).

Its also still unclear what Pro Tools exactly does? The "file is unresponsive"? Does Pro Tools crash? Hang forever and need to be killed? Look like it starts to import but finishes with nothing imported? Import dialog box goes away quickly and nothing at all seems to be done?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-27-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:11 PM

I searched using your community email and found an account with an "Upgrade and Support Plan for Pro Tools | HD Software" that was valid through Mar 01, 2016. Click on that, then "Show" and you'll see installers up through 12.4.

I agree with Darryl though, I'm not sure that it's related to your version of PT.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Oh and be especially careful that you are copying content on import so that content is not left on the Zoom/Zoom SD card. My advice is *always* set Pro Tools to automatically copy on import.

(Thanks Jeffro -- and my advice there would not be to move to 12.4 right now, fix the problem you have and then look and see if there is a separate reason to move to 12.4. One thing at a time).
Old 06-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Cool, thanks so much for the help guys.