Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Default How do you employ effects to tracks on PT9?

Yup, total nube question. I can mess around with an audio sweet effect but I can't make a track use it. Appreciate some help,

thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Re: How do you employ effects to tracks on PT9?

Are you using an Audio track, an Auxiliary track or an Instrument track?

If you can hear the effect while monitoring, then the track is using it. If you mean you can't record the effect, chances are you are not using an Audio track.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM

AudioSuite processes the audio in place(so it won't work for midi). For MOST effects(delay, reverb), I will use an AUX send to feed and AUX track and insert the effect on the AUX track. Plugins like EQ and compressors are not usually called "effects" and I usually insert them on the tracks that need them(one exception being compression on an AUX track to do parallel compression). Maybe if you can be more specific on what you are shooting for, someone can offer more exact advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Thank you for responding. Say I want reverb on instrument track #2. How do I do that? I remember on PT7 there was a button in each individual track in the edit window that I could use to add it, but now all I seem to be able to do is open up D-verb and change settings for it but can't apply it to an individual track. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

You don't put reverb on the instrument track. You create an aux track and put the reverb on the aux. Then you use a Send on the instrument track to connect it to the aux. So for example, set the Send on the instrument track to Bus 3 (assuming mono, otherwise Bus 3-4), then set the input on the Aux track to Bus 3 if mono or Bus 3-4 if stereo. Make sure the fader on the Send is up. It'll default to -inf. Then you should hear the reverb and you can use the send fader to control how much of the wet (reverb) signal you want to mix with the dry (original) signal.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion6789 View Post
You don't put reverb on the instrument track. You create an aux track and put the reverb on the aux. Then you use a Send on the instrument track to connect it to the aux. So for example, set the Send on the instrument track to Bus 3 (assuming mono, otherwise Bus 3-4), then set the input on the Aux track to Bus 3 if mono or Bus 3-4 if stereo. Make sure the fader on the Send is up. It'll default to -inf. Then you should hear the reverb and you can use the send fader to control how much of the wet (reverb) signal you want to mix with the dry (original) signal.
To expound on this a bit(as its pretty accurate, but there's more to it), you COULD put a reverb plugin on an instrument track, but I wouldn't(I would do the send and AUX track as described above). You can also send to a MONO aux track, but insert a mono-stereo reverb plugin(to save on buses if you want/need to). As for sends defaulting to -inf, there is a setting in preferences to make all AUX sends default to -0(so decide which works best for you). As for wet/dry, you can control that with both the send, and/or the AUX track(with the plugin). Lots of options

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Maybe what you mean is you can't see the button where you used to insert an effect. If so, you need to make Inserts visible.

Go to View > Mix Window Views > Inserts A-E. You should now see the buttons you can press to insert a plugin.

You might have to increase the height of the track so you can see it better. Just hover your mouse over the bottom edge of the track until you see the cursor change to the up/down arrow, then drag it downward until you can see what you want.

Sorry if that's not what you meant.