Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Word Clock Generator

I couldn't find an older post relating to this topic, but I've been told by numerous composers, that adding a high quality Word Clock generator to my Digidesign interfaces through external sync mode actually improves the sound of my audio. I've looked at Aardvark's site and they say it does, but if so, how much of a difference is there? I would really appreciate some insight before laying down that much dough for something I haven't even tried.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Word Clock Generator

The external clock of choice right now is the Apogee Big Ben. Very powerful and flexible. People that use it "can't mix without it".

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/bigben.php
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM

I feel it depends on what system yor are using. When we were on a Mix+ with 888/24, the Aardsync was a huge improvement. With HD/192io, the Arrdvark is a step down. What's so interesting is the differences between clocks. Even with HD, you can hear quite a difference using different clocks. For me, the Aardsync was not an improvement on HD. With the Arrdsync, the sound is brighter, with more detail on the top, but the image collapses a bit, sounds more mono.

I've heard great things about the Apogee and would be interested in hearing it in person.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:10 PM

Okay, well I AM using a MIX system so In other words, there IS a dramatic difference in sound quality?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 PM

It depends on your I/O. What are you using for your I/O and how is it configured?

How many tracks do you record at one time?

There are different answers for the best solution for you depending on these variables.

Nika
Old 11-08-2004, 11:13 PM

Essentially, I use the 24-ch subgroup buss from my Hill console going into three 882/20's. When I'm done recording, I send the outs back into the console to use the outboard EQ, dynamics and analog inserts for mixdown. I have automated faders on the console and writing automation with the console faders is much easier than with PT. After I get the outboard set up, I run the signal back into PT from the console's main out into an Aux in. Then Bounce.

Most of the times, I use almost all of the channels(24). Big Band performances and the like.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:27 AM

There is very, very, very little question that you would get an audible and desireable improvement from a better clock source. The Big Ben would be my recommendation for your situation.

Nika
Old 11-09-2004, 09:21 AM

With an HD rig, I'm a fan of the Aardsync with the video gen option... The rig sounds quite different depending on what your clock ref is.... i.e. ( video, word, super, etc) The video is much more detailed.. in my opinion. As far as a Mix rig... I think AES clock sounds best.

TL
Old 11-09-2004, 10:22 AM

AES clock is far less accurate than WC unless something is bizarre about the circuit design in the receiving box. WC stability has to always be measured on the BNC jack because that's where it is most stable.

As for Aardvark, there are good things about that one, but the Big Ben uses the same technology and has all kinds of new whiz-bang stuff inside of it (adaptive loop filtering, et al) such that it's my first pick now.

Nika.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM

Whatever you do, keep your WC cables as short as possible! Superclock degrades very quickly as it travels down cable. Also, using a Distribution Amp can help because then you're not looping the clock signal through a bunch of connectors, which also degrades it. Most clocks have multiple outs; use them.