Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2001, 12:49 AM

Default Can align grid to different tempo after recording MIDI?

I am recording drum tracks in MIDI. The tempo varies from 60 to 72 as the song builds to conclusion. I set the tempo for recording at 65. I had planned to go in after recording and change the tempo in different sections with tempo events, so I could approximately align the grid with the actual tempo. This would make later editing somewhat easier.

However, since MIDI events stay in relative position with the grid as tempo is changed, I don't see how I shift the MIDI notes in the grid. Is there any way? I don't want to record the drum tracks in audio (instead of MIDI) and lose the flexibility to try different drum kits after recording.

If I can't, I guess it isn't the end of the world. I'll just record the other tracks with the actual drum tempo and ignore the grid when editing. No quantizing could be done. Somehow, not estheticly pleasing, either. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-27-2001, 07:14 AM
Avid

Default Re: Can align grid to different tempo after recording MIDI?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by el biciclista:
However, since MIDI events stay in relative position with the grid as tempo is changed, I don't see how I shift the MIDI notes in the grid. Is there any way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you need to shift MIDI note data in front of, or behind the current grid, you will have to enable Slip Mode.

Brent
Old 12-27-2001, 11:37 AM

Brent,
I may not have explained what I want to do very well. I have recorded the MIDI tracks at a varying tempo: the tempo is 60 for a while, gradually moves to 65, then quickly moves to 72 near the end.

I want to keep the MIDI notes at the same relative positions, so the tempo actually changes thru the song. I want to shift the grid WITHOUT shifting the MIDI notes, so I (approximately) realign the grid with the notes, not visa versa.

I believe I can shift the grid by inserting tempo events thru the song (right?), but when I do this MIDI notes will move with the grid rather than stay in the same place.

How specifically do I do this with Slip Mode?

Thanks for the help!!
Mike
Old 12-28-2001, 08:28 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by el biciclista:
How specifically do I do this with Slip Mode?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Unfortunately, you cannot slip the grid without the MIDI events also following along. As you suggested above, recording to the drum tempo and not using Grid mode is your best option here.

Brent