Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Flickering monitor

Hi All,

I have an HD3 system running on a G4 Dual 867 with a 22" Cinema Display. Lately my monitor has been flickering, but only in Pro Tools - no other software. Much of the time it doesn't flicker at all, sometimes it's just the mix window and not the edit window, sometimes it just jumps a little, sometimes it's so bad that I can't see what I'm doing. Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 07-26-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Flickering monitor

Are you using a monitor extension kit (such as the ones Gefen sells)?

Brian
Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 AM

this happens to 2 systems I use, that are connected to Gefen Extenders. The new ones that are DVI, connected to Apple 23" HD displays.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:31 AM

-bump

driving me NUTS
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 AM

Yes, I have a Dr. Bott Passive extender. I think it's three meters. Is that likely to be the issue? I work on some other systems with extenders that don't have the same problem.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 07-28-2005, 08:54 AM

I originally had a Gefen DVI to ADC Conversion Box that I stupidly put up with for a couple of years instead of getting it fixed while under warranty (1 year). Anyway, I recently talked with Gefen and they said to switch it out for their newer ADC Repeater. I bought the ADC Repeater, and sure enough, no more flickering Cinema Display.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM

We're using Gefen's NEW DVI extenders because the new apple displays are not ADC. Flickering and sometimes total black-out.
Gefen has no answer, any one else have some ideas?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:24 AM

could be an earthing issue.

we just installed a new studio, and i noticed one of my monitors was flickering like crazy. It had never done this before, and so the engineer doing the install tested the various power sockets around the room and found that one had been earth incorrectly. When we disconnected equipment from this socket, the flicker vanished.

Try running all your studio equipment from a single power socket (making sure all the extensions connected to it are correctly earthed.) This should not be a problem as most studio kit does not draw enough current to come close to verloading your sockets power rating...at least thats the case in the UK.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM

the systems are installed in a multi-room post production/transmission facility for Discovery Channel Latin America/Iberia in Miami. We run off conditioned 60Hz sinewave power, all earthed properly. there are dedicated circuits for critial and non critical equipment, etc. The engineers tried lifting the grounds as well, but nada. Any other ideas, since Gefen is so propmt with answers
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM

We have a couple of rooms with Geffen extenders. We cured the flickering with new and more stabile power supplies. Two of the original Geffen powers died, and literarily melted.
We also noticed increased flickering when playing audio through the extender. The audio is now on separate audio lines.