Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate, the worst version...

I have to admit that spending my money for the reinstatement from PT11 was the worst thing I did in my life.

I'm experiencing that when copying or moving a midi clip elsewhere sometimes it loses the first note/s at the beginning of the clip. I did a search and found that it is a old bug. Never had this from PT7 and above until now. If true it is scandalous.

I'm having AAE errors, always... especially when a VI plays the first time once the session is loaded.

Inserting plugins sometimes takes up to 10 seconds, too much and never happened on PT 11

The preroll sometimes doesn't work if loop playback is enabled.

I make music and if midi doesn't work correctly I will migrate to other DAWs.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate, the worst version...

That midi issue with losing notes at the start of a clip, plus sometimes notes from one clip get stuck in the previous clip as well as unable to delete a note at the start of a clip have been plaguing me since PT 12.5, and is STILL present in 2018.4

I also get a loud volume jump from midi notes when I first hit play particularly when the loop in on!!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM

MIDI is getting more attention now. I'm optimistic.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
That midi issue with losing notes at the start of a clip, plus sometimes notes from one clip get stuck in the previous clip as well as unable to delete a note at the start of a clip have been plaguing me since PT 12.5, and is STILL present in 2018.4

I also get a loud volume jump from midi notes when I first hit play particularly when the loop in on!!
I'm having this as well.
I suspect that both these issues are related to clips that sometimes are off beat. Try to zoom the exact point where the loop start and check if those clips and their notes match the beginning of the loop selection.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
MIDI is getting more attention now. I'm optimistic.
wonder what makes you think so optimistic?
MIDI in PT is so clumpsy and still carrying on old bugs,
I am rather pessimistic

just my 2 cents
Walter
Old 04-14-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I'm having this as well.
I suspect that both these issues are related to clips that sometimes are off beat. Try to zoom the exact point where the loop start and check if those clips and their notes match the beginning of the loop selection.
I zoom in all the time to try & resolve the issue but I find a bug in PT that puts some clips & the timeline slightly out of alignment when you zoom in, in the midi editor but that same clip looks fine zoomed in on the edit window and vice versa.....trust me it's a bug
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions

Last edited by foxes; 04-14-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I zoom in all the time to try & resolve the issue but I find a bug in PT that puts some clips & the timeline slightly out of alignment when you zoom in, in the midi editor but that same clip looks fine zoomed in on the edit window and vice versa.....trust me it's a bug
I suspect that this "double volume" when hitting play or when the timeline return to the left locator when loop is enabled is caused by the sum of the notes of first clip of the loop selection and the tail of the previous clip. This could happen when the previous clip goes behind the loop start. Just my thought
Old 04-14-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I'm experiencing that when copying or moving a midi clip elsewhere sometimes it loses the first note/s at the beginning of the clip. I did a search and found that it is a old bug. Never had this from PT7 and above until now. If true it is scandalous.
Yeah had that again the other day. MIDI note would disappear when I put it on the first beat of the bar. Clip was showing at the start of the bar but put the note there and it would disappear. Ended zooming right it and putting in one tick back.

Not very user friendly either way you look at it.

I'm finding that possibly the best was to work with MIDI is to consolidate all clips and cut/copy/paste the notes themselves. More fiddly and slower as no named/number clips to work with. Also, no possibility to edits all the clips from one with the mirrored editing on this way. That said, this lost notes thing at the start of clips is a real party killer.

About time it was sorted once and for all please

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I suspect that this "double volume" when hitting play or when the timeline return to the left locator when loop is enabled is caused by the sum of the notes of first clip of the loop selection and the tail of the previous clip. This could happen when the previous clip goes behind the loop start. Just my thought
Old 04-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Yeah had that again the other day. MIDI note would disappear when I put it on the first beat of the bar. Clip was showing at the start of the bar but put the note there and it would disappear. Ended zooming right it and putting in one tick back.

Not very user friendly either way you look at it.

I'm finding that possibly the best was to work with MIDI is to consolidate all clips and cut/copy/paste the notes themselves. More fiddly and slower as no named/number clips to work with. Also, no possibility to edits all the clips from one with the mirrored editing on this way. That said, this lost notes thing at the start of clips is a real party killer.

About time it was sorted once and for all please

Stephen
Yes. And I know users who works with midi entirely with tracks showing notes without clips. But I find this not comfortable. I make pop and popdance and working with this genre it is necessary to be able to move/copy blocks of the song back and forth