Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2001, 12:19 AM

Default Booting up problems!!

I have not been able to find the pci parity disable function in my BIOS setup. I did, however, find a SCSI parity checking function (by pressing ctrl+a). Is this the same thing? Even still, when I turn the auto-insert notification off, my computer has problems booting up---which I believe is a sign that I have not disbled this pCI parity thing. Any ideas?
I haven't even installed the soundcard because according to the installation manual you need to take care of this first.
Old 01-14-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Booting up problems!!

Assuming you have a SCSI system, you should disable PCI parity in the SCSI BIOS (I do have a SCSI system). If you system does not have PCI parity in the regular BIOS, then you don't have to worry about it, because in systems where it isn't listed, it's already disabled.

Auto-insert notification is only for CD-ROMs and burners. Whether it's off or on shouldn't affect booting your computer. I have forgotten to turn off auto-insert notification for months with no ill effects to PTLE and my computer has booted fine with or without it. Auto-insert notification is a little tweak.

You can install the soundcard without disabling PCI parity and with auto-insert notification on. It just may not run very smoothly. (Hitting play or record and having PTLE run for 5 seconds is not much fun.) You can change them after installing. With auto-insert notification off and SCSI PCI parity disabled, you should be fine.

More importantly, DO enable DMA on you hard drive(s), or you will have errors everywhere.

Follow the instructions in the install manual exactingly and don't worry about the PCI parity in the regular BIOS.

BTW: I admire your restraint - not installing the soundcard. Now you can just get on with it. The wonders of Digidesign await you.

Hope this helps.