Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM

Question Mbox2Pro, PTLE8.0 &8.04 update NIGHTMARE

I have searched this forum high and low, believe me. I have googled ridiculously and come close to answering my query but not quite. Here's the issue;

Purchased MBox2Pro in 2007 with PTLE7.4, used this on an XP system for a few years no hassles.Recently upgraded to a new pc running W7 Home 64bit. Purchased upgrade to PTLE8.0 and downloaded 8.04 update.

Before installing any PT related software on this new system I plugged the Mbox2Pro into the onboard firewire 400 port (Texas Instru) to see if it would power on. The unit's power LED began flashing red slowly and a beep could be heard from my speakers (running from an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra usb interface which was already installed and working fine).

I powered down, disconnected the Mbox2Pro. The next day I powered on the system, installed PTLE 8.0, didn't plug in the MB2P as instructed on this site, installed the 8.04 update, plugged in the MB2P when prompted - nothing. No lights at all. Unable to locate hardware so had to shut down PT.

After 10 reboots and reinstalls, switching the firewire to legacy drivers and trying everything advised on here I am still experiencing no power to MB2P from either FW port or power supply. PT will not load as it can't find hardware that IS connected to my pc and was recognized BEFORE installing any Avid software!

Is there something I need to do to initialize either the MB2P or firewire port so I get back to the "found new hardware" window and red blinking LED that I first experienced when I connected the MB2P for the first time?

Anybody got a clue whats going on?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Mbox2Pro, PTLE8.0 &8.04 update NIGHTMARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by linelevel View Post
I have searched this forum high and low, believe me. I have googled ridiculously and come close to answering my query but not quite. Here's the issue;

Purchased MBox2Pro in 2007 with PTLE7.4, used this on an XP system for a few years no hassles.Recently upgraded to a new pc running W7 Home 64bit. Purchased upgrade to PTLE8.0 and downloaded 8.04 update.

Before installing any PT related software on this new system I plugged the Mbox2Pro into the onboard firewire 400 port (Texas Instru) to see if it would power on. The unit's power LED began flashing red slowly and a beep could be heard from my speakers (running from an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra usb interface which was already installed and working fine).

I powered down, disconnected the Mbox2Pro. The next day I powered on the system, installed PTLE 8.0, didn't plug in the MB2P as instructed on this site, installed the 8.04 update, plugged in the MB2P when prompted - nothing. No lights at all. Unable to locate hardware so had to shut down PT.

After 10 reboots and reinstalls, switching the firewire to legacy drivers and trying everything advised on here I am still experiencing no power to MB2P from either FW port or power supply. PT will not load as it can't find hardware that IS connected to my pc and was recognized BEFORE installing any Avid software!

Is there something I need to do to initialize either the MB2P or firewire port so I get back to the "found new hardware" window and red blinking LED that I first experienced when I connected the MB2P for the first time?

Anybody got a clue whats going on?
I'm not perfectly clear on your process. I would uninstall everything (PT) using the PT Utilities, Then reinstall 8, do not introduce MBox! Now I'm not sure if you need to install 8.0.3 first but if you do, still DO NOT introduce your MBox until 8.0.4 is completely installed. (I believe this way PT will load all of the drivers for any box) Now at this point you could even do a reboot and any box you plug in, PT will find the corresponding drivers for you. I have no problems using an 003, mini, or micro on same computer. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. As stated I have fully reinstalled PTLE8.0, then the 8.04 update from scratch over 10 times. That involved completely uninstalling everything digidesign from my system, PTLE, drivers and utilities. Everything. I can't get the MBox2Pro to show up at all.

What is puzzling me is why I was able to get my pc to recognise the MB2P when I first plugged it in, obviously it popped up with the windows saying "unable to locate drivers etc" but it actually detected something being plugged into my firewire port and the red LED lit up on the MB2P.

I now can't get it to show up at all and the unit appears dead. This happens whether everything to do with digidesign is uninstalled completely, or after the PTLE install process

Also, I have read that the MB2P and Eleven rack do not need drivers with 8.04, however after installation of the 8.04 update if I go into the Digidesign/ProTools folder I can find a folder called Eleven rack which seems to contain drivers for this piece of hardware. I can't find anything to do with the MB2P however?

rqstudio - you stated updating from 8.03 to 8.04 might fix the issue, all links for any update of PTLE8.0 now take me to the 8.04 update page I can't find a download for the 8.03 or an subsequent cs updates. I assume the 8.04 update makes any previous update obsolete?

I bought 8.0 a while back and didn't install until yesterday so I never got a chance to download the 8.01, 8.02, 8.03 updates.

I am very very confused.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linelevel View Post
Also, I have read that the MB2P and Eleven rack do not need drivers with 8.04, however after installation of the 8.04 update if I go into the Digidesign/ProTools folder I can find a folder called Eleven rack which seems to contain drivers for this piece of hardware. I can't find anything to do with the MB2P however?
I think what was meant to be said was that the MB2P and 11R didn't need Windows 7 drivers as the ones from 8.0.3 seemed to already be compatible. Is there another computer that you can simply connect the MB2P to and see if it at least gets a flashing power light?
Access Virus TI Polar :: M-Audio Profire 2626 :: UAD-2 Duo :: UAD-1
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 PM

OK but you are aware there is a difference between Windows seeing new hardware and PT installing drivers, correct? Ignore any Windows prompts. Don't plug in your interface until you're finished installing 8.0.4
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Yep totally aware of the difference. Perhaps I shouldn't have connected the MB2P before installing 8.0, then the 8.04 update but...

The problem I'm now having is no matter what process I follow;

*uninstalling everything>reinstalling everything>connecting interface
*uninstalling everything>connecting interface
*reverting to legacy firewire drivers>repeating either of above steps

The MB2P is not recognised at all. No lights, no nothing, no response to firewire or power supply..nothing.

The fact remains - the interface responded when first connected, red flashing light and beeps from speakers, found new hardware window followed by unable to install hardware/no drivers window.

I can't even get back to this point which is really confusing me. Surely something other than reinstalling W7 will sort this out?

Cheers for the replies guys =)
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Send us a sandra?
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Sorry for the late bump. I have sort of a similar problem, but with an exception I haven't seen posted yet. I'm on the new MacBook Pro 13 w/i5. MBox2Pro was flashing the orange/amber light. My old laptop got stolen back in August so I'm finally back to recording. I looked it up and did all the steps. I had to hook it up to a PC and reset the firmware. It worked. My PC corrected the MBox2Pro and the lights turned on like they're supposed to. BUT when I hook it up to my MacBook Pro 13-i5 it goes back to blinking orange/amber again. Then, I did the recommend steps again, no go, hook it to PC and BAM! I'm back in business. Hook it back up to MacBook Pro 13 it blinks again. Anybody have a clue? I didn't notice any threads about the 2011 MacBook Pro's in here. Thanks in advance, guys.