Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Default How to mount a SCSI drive

Mundane question: Once I've already booted, how can I mount a SCSI drive I am bringing on line after bootup? Would I use the ATTO configuration tool, or disk utility, or what? I can't figure out how to do it. I don't always want to reboot the computer.

thanx

c-post
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Avid

Default Re: How to mount a SCSI drive

Typically using Disk Utility is the easiest method.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM

We struggled with this for a LONG time at our studio. Honestly you're up a creek on the reboot thing. Atto tools don't work and Disk Utility does not work in OS X. The only time those utilities will work is if the computer had been booted with the SCSI drive, and you unmounted it. While the computer is still on you can RE-MOUNT with Atto or Disk Utility but NOT hot swap. OSX doesn't really have good SCSI support. So pretty much any time you want to mount a drive you're going to HAVE to reboot. It sucks, I know.

We basically stopped using SCSI drive at our studio because of that.

If you want the performance for large PT sessions.....SATA is the way to go. It outperforms almost EVERY for of SCSI, except like SCSI III ultra or something.

We've run multiple full length feature films and 60 track music sessions on SATA (internal) with no problems what-so-ever. They rock.

For reference sake it's a PT HD3 system running on a 2Ghz G5 with a 10k RPM Western Digital Raptor 16MB cache.

Hope this helps....

Justin
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Try putting system in sleep mode and then wake up. We've had success with this though not 100%.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM

ATTO Config Tool DOES WORK!! You just need to know where to look. If you have other SCSI drives attached, they should be UNMOUNTED first, otherwise you'll get an error from the OS stating they were unmounted improperly. Unmount using ProTools.

As you open the ATTO Config Tool click on the first icon (sorry I'm not in front of my system to confirm what it is). It will have a triangle on its left side. This will drop down to another menu (icon) with the same triangle on its left. Click on that icon and you'll get a window with three tabs. Clicking on the third tab (ADVANCED, maybe... I'm doing this from memory, here) will give you a window that has a SCAN button on the bottom. This will, first of all, UNMOUNT all other attached drives and then rescan the SCSI busses. At that point, ProTools should re-mount all the drives.

I do this on a regular basis and it's flawless.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Great, thanks for the super suggestion, Dr. Seaberg. Will try.

-c-post
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
[…] Atto tools don't work and Disk Utility does not work in OS X. […] SATA is the way to go. It outperforms almost EVERY for of SCSI, except like SCSI III ultra or something.
Regardless of one’s personal views (and choices) on the subject, the above is just horrible — like opinions being one thing and facts another. Or something.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 AM

It works. I clicked on the "ExpressPCI DC" directory and then the "Advanced" tab, then click the rescan button. Works like a charm. Thank you much.

c-post
Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM

Yes, it does work. We've got 4-PTHD rooms that do this every day. It did take me a year or two to really look DEEP into ATTO Config. During support with ATTO on some other issues, their tech guy 'reminded' me of this. We could never get Disk Utility to mount anything after-the-fact on the ATTO cards.

Their support was INCREDIBLE, by the way. Even follow up calls to make sure it was still working.