Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Powerbook/Logic/MIX+ audio dropouts (summary)

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't given up the ghost yet. I'm summarizing here, and including info/results that was/were learned from suggestions obtained here.

Logic 7.1.1, Pro Tools 6.4.1, 888/24 x2, core and farm card, OS 10.3.9, Powerbook 17" 1.67, 1.5 GIG RAM, Magma 2 card exp chassis, Lacie FW drive(s)

The problem:

A. Logic DAE tracks play audio and then drops sound output but transport continues. This behavior regardless of whether or not DTDM is on in the audio prefs AND/OR the ESB plug in is/isn't in the plugins folder. Sometimes plays for split second and drops audio, sometimes plays 30 seconds or more. Responds at various times to opening other windows, mixer window etc sometimes (in some cases not all) exacerbates the problem.

B. In tests where DTDM was turned on and DTDM tracks exist, DEA audio drops out but DTDM tracks continue to play.

C. problem is confined (I assume) to DAE because both core audio AND DTDM are off in the prefs

What I have tried in Logic:

1. Core and Farm cards digitest tested
2. Pro Tools itself runs fine with same audio Logic is using, no problem.
3. 24 bit files
4. tested several different logic songs and drives for variety
5. tried internal drive instead of FW drive (internal is 5400)
6. checked permissions on audio file(s) - fine
7. Repaired permissions, trashed digi setup, prefs etc
8. zapped pRAM
9. Computer displays no error messages, otherwise seems up to the task, doesn't act bogged down at all
10. Used Logic default song and dragged DAE audio into that. Plays for 30 seconds and drops audio output.
11. Wiped drive clean and did fresh OS/Pro tools/Logic installs. Same behavior.
12. tried test with just core card in the chassis (instead of one core and one farm. In this test it was as bad as it gets with just seconds of audio before dropout) This is strange, don't you think? Maybe it's just because I removed the card and the 888/24 attached and it's a coincidence. Just to make sure, I opened pro tools again with just the core card and it played the 8 tracks it could just fine.

So I still need ideas, would love to hear from someone using a similar system.

thanks for helping me get this far

Greg
Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Powerbook/Logic/MIX+ audio dropouts (summary)

Hi,

some comments:

1. You have to be aware, that MIX PCI-Cards are a lot more PCI-Bus demanding than the newer HD-Cards.
2. Logic Pro is much more graphic intensive than ProTools as the main frontend application, leading to more traffic on the PCI-Bus.
3. A Powerbook/Magma-Chassis/Logic Pro/TDM combo was never tested by Emagic or Apple. Such a setup is not recommended.
4. If you are trying to use such a combo, you must reduce the DAE track count to 32 tracks (Audio-Hardware and Drivers)
5. If you are trying to playback audio with DAE and DTDM, you must use different harddisks, better different Harddisk controllers,
a faster internal harddisk and a seperate Firewire harddisk will help.
6. Personally I would suggest to use a HD-System with a Powerbook, there is a much better chance, that such a combo will work.
7. No, I don't work for Apple, but I was going through all this before, with the help of some Emagic/Apple reps....

Best,
M.K.BEAT
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks MK - will try that and post results

Greg
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM

well first of all protools mix is ONLY compatible as fare as Panther 10.4.3 - I dont know if that has anything to it though.

But what I know is this: Logic and TDM is a NO GO since os x - it works yes - but it is erratic as HE**