Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2022, 02:51 PM

Default Thoughts about a separate router and wifi network for Avid and SoundFlow devices?

I came into a spare tri-band wireless router and I'm wondering about the possible benefits of putting my Avid Control and Sound Flow tablets on a separate wifi network -- separate from all the other various doorbells, tv's, phones, laptops, thermostats, etc, that is. Could I expect any kind of noticeable performance improvement? Is it worth the added complication?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-29-2022, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about a separate router and wifi network for Avid and SoundFlow devices?

If it is all just one connection in and out of the house\router, it seems there might be an unnecessary turn taking that will occur. However, maybe the more distant doorbells etc could go on a 2.4GHz band and if the router is closer to your sound setup, putting the computer on a 5G network might improve performance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-29-2022, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about a separate router and wifi network for Avid and SoundFlow devices?

The scenario I'm looking at is that I've got the modem and wireless router in one room and then an ethernet run from the router to a satellite near the pro tools rig. My thought was that if I replace the satellite with a second wifi router I could run the CPU, S3 and Dock to the 2nd router via ethernet and the tablets to the second router via wifi. And then (presumably) my Avid related devices (assuming they're not accessing the modem to get to the internet) would not be competing with any other traffic from tv's, doorbells, thermostats, within that second wifi network. But I'm not sure if it would actually produce any noticeable benefit in terms of devices periodically falling offline, etc.